Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

where do you sell your cards

(36 Posts)
sunnygreetings Tue 22-Mar-05 13:24:57

Hiya

Just a nosey question really, just wondered where you sell your cards, and if any of you had any luck selling your cards online.

Many thanks

Josie x

Jaysmum Tue 22-Mar-05 16:13:06

I have today started to build my crafty websit......sitting here fighting with the computer.....I was told it was easy to do....THEY LIED!!!!!

sunnygreetings Tue 22-Mar-05 16:37:17

oh Good Luck Jaysmum, hope it all goes well.

Dingle Tue 22-Mar-05 17:00:37

I don't sell that many and they are mainly to friends and family. I have done a few craft stalls at local events too.

I have started to giving a commission to my local Downs Syndrome Assoc. charity which I attend for my dd. So I am hoping to expand this year by trying to sell elsewhere.

I would love a site too, but I have absolutely no idea where to start.

helsi Tue 22-Mar-05 18:34:33

I posted on here a while ago to say that a lady is selling them on the counter at the local soft play centre where I take dd. I thought it was a really good idea.

AuntyQuated Tue 22-Mar-05 22:29:16

i am building up a stock to copy Dior's idea - a card party.
other than that i sell to family and friends and have done a couple of orders for mumsnetters!

hub2dee Tue 22-Mar-05 23:19:18

Hi all,

I made close to one thousand cards back in 93 using one design for Valentine's. (Heavy stock, dark. Square of ragged hessian loosely glued. Palest pinky-salmonn stencil dabbed background on the hessian. Summer-berry-red heart stencil dabbed on top).

I sold at Camden market (out of a violin case) for one afternoon, but didn't want to get arrested so stopped quite early.

I walked around LOADS of shops in posher areas of London (Ealing, Chiswick, Hampstead, Knightsbridge etc.) - Newsagents, florists, gift shops etc. And sold either cash or sale-or-return at a push.

I also sold 50 to a clothes company called Heart Breakers - did a custom design as above but with split heart. (Just looke in phone book for any company with 'heart' in the name).

I sold to Harvey Nicks too !

All simply walking up to the shop owner / most senior assistant.

I also sold a large pile to Whistles in Richmond. (made an appointment to see their senior designer).

And lastly, I sent a sample to Her Majesty the Queen and got a 'no thanks' reply from her private secretary !!!!

It was a busy time indeed.

IME, having the guts to simply walk in, and offering favourable terms to the shop owner, was enough to secure good sales. It was helpful, obviously, that my cards were designed for a one-off event, and maybe if you make more general cards you would need a different, more professional / less ad-hoc approach.

AuntyQuated Wed 23-Mar-05 09:52:00

did it put you off h2d, or did you do it again?

do you fancy joining our next challenge????

hub2dee Wed 23-Mar-05 12:09:22

Hi auntyQ,

It was the second year I'd done it. The first was a smaller run of a couple of hundred sold on Uni campus. I made the cards in my bedroom with my m8 jazzybee (a car nut who has posted on MN a couple of times).

At the time I was thinking of representing other card-makers as I'd manage to open a few choice doors, but it just never happened.

Since then, I've done bugger all creative art work (designing house / garden / computer systems can be creative but it's not paint and glue type stuff !). I doubt, then, that I'm up for the challenge.... but can you tell me what the challenge is ?

Also: card makers: you should put ads in the For Sale area with a digital image of your cards. You can buy fairly cheap, very good digital cameras these days and you don't need super high pixel counts to capture images for the Web. A pack of 3 - 5 (or more for Christmas etc.) would sell well I imagine.

sunnygreetings Wed 23-Mar-05 16:05:59

I did wonder if we could put our cards with pictures on the for sale bit, but werent sure if that was classed a 'business' there fore should we pay £25, i did mail MN but got no reply on this matter.

Josie

AuntyQuated Wed 23-Mar-05 16:40:04

i too have thought about this - but i'd have to sell a hell of a lot of cards to cover the 25 quid

sunnygreetings Wed 23-Mar-05 16:47:04

i agree AuntyQ

Anteater Wed 23-Mar-05 16:47:42

Hi AuntyQ, hows your 'swap' game going??

AuntyQuated Wed 23-Mar-05 16:56:28

we are all done Anteater and ready to get going with the next one! would you like to join us; not sure if there will be a theme or not...have to make dinner now but i will start a thread tonight asking who is interested.

i will also give link to the Yahoo site so you can look at the last challenge.

albert Wed 23-Mar-05 17:14:22

If any of you manage to set up a website please let me know because I would be REALLY interested. Cards here in Italy are truly dreadful, it's not part of their culture so they don't really exist to any extent. I have thought about making my own but don't know where to start. I desperatley need cards to send to people and I just can't get them - DS and DH are both getting postcards this year, how sad is that!

sunnygreetings Wed 23-Mar-05 17:32:20

albert have tried to CAT you but u are not recieving messages, have u got a email addy i can email you with my website address.

Josie x

AuntyQuated Wed 23-Mar-05 17:34:46

great minds SG, so have i. lol

Albert, you cam email me on my MN name at yahoo dot co dot uk - no spaces, no caps

AuntyQuated Wed 23-Mar-05 17:35:28

SG, would love to see your website too.
could you email me the adresss? thanks

SoupDragon Wed 23-Mar-05 17:43:16

FWIW, I think it unfortunately would count as a business ad.

I've dreamt of a site like Moonpig where the purchaser chooses from a set of standard cards or a set of "ingredients" and gets sent a card made to their spec. Or sent direct to the recipient.

AuntyQuated Wed 23-Mar-05 17:45:39

i found a site once Sd where you get put up your cards and they took orders for you...but have searched and serached and can no longer find it.

do you think if they were all on one website we could pay MN a collective £25??? or maybe a little more depending on how many were on the site.

will email them later

SoupDragon Wed 23-Mar-05 17:53:38

£25 seems a lot for what is a very small turnover though.

I thought "my" card website could leap off the back of Moonpig's popularity. Now people are used to buying cards from the internet and the concept of having them posted direct to the recipient.You'd have to get it recommended by the press etc and get prominent links on other sites... <<drifts off into a fantasy land where SoupDragon becomes a dotcom millionaire>>

Anteater Wed 23-Mar-05 18:09:27

AuntyQ, no sorry I meant the MN lego game!!

Jaysmum Wed 23-Mar-05 18:36:47

Im in the process of building my own card website.....Im useless on the old computer....so its taking me ages....the time I am spending doing it is taking me away from my craft room.....does anyone know anyone who can build a site for me?????

Dingle Wed 23-Mar-05 18:59:54

JaysMum, it's an idea I have only toyed with for some time. Especially now I give commission to the Downs group, if I had a website I could advertise to the other parents/members of the charity. There is quite a bit of info on the craft forum I now use-I'll take another look and if I feel it's relevant I'll do a link.

Don't know how it would work but could we not group together and do a mumsnet crafters group. We could then share the cost- our styles are quite varied so I don't feel that would really be an issue!

kkgirl Thu 31-Mar-05 12:45:20

Has there been any news from MN whether we can put our cards on the "For Sale" bit or place a business ad.
I am making so many cards now, I need to sell/get rid of some, I don't have enough friends and family to give them too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now