Talk

Advanced search

What can I make an egg look like?

(14 Posts)
Polgara2 Sat 12-Mar-05 23:39:15

Oh its come round again - the annual egg decorating competition at school! As I now have 2 eggs to organise and I had enough trouble thinking of ideas for 1 ..........HELP!!! When I see all the other entries some of them look fantastic and I feel sorry for my dds that I can't oblige with a magnificent egg character. So any ideas gratefully received.

nightowl Sat 12-Mar-05 23:52:55

buy the egg dying kit from asda..its great! (and im lazy)

JaysMum Sat 12-Mar-05 23:53:51

Last year we made a clowns car out of an old cereal box....kids painted it and then we decorated the egg as the clown sitting in the car.
I looked very effective and ds1 won 1st prize.

The theme this year is zoo animals.....so we are having a tiger and an elephant.....having fun myself with the elephants trunk!!!!!!

Good Luck.

joash Sat 12-Mar-05 23:54:18

Do two - Tweedledum and Tweedledee
or the most obvious one - Humpty
or Vicar of Dibley
or ME!!!!!!

HUNKERMUNKER Sun 13-Mar-05 00:03:07

A bat?

Ailsa Sun 13-Mar-05 19:05:31

I won first prize in the easter egg comp at primary school (OMG that was 30 odd yrs ago!!!). I made a squirrel.

The egg is the body, cut 2 of the following from thin card, tail, head, legs and arms. Stick the tops of the 2 heads together, then stick the bottom of the heads to either side of the pointed end of the egg. Stick the tips of the 2 tails together and stick to either side of the opposite side and end of the egg. Stick the arms and legs on in the obvious places, then paint the whole lot brown.

Hope this helps.

purpleturtle Sun 13-Mar-05 19:22:59

That's a terrifying bat, HM!

Whizzz Sun 13-Mar-05 19:28:38

PurpleTurtle - You should see the rest on the 'Bat Thread'

purpleturtle Sun 13-Mar-05 19:31:44

might have to go and take a look

Polgara2 Sun 13-Mar-05 20:24:47

Wow thanks everyone - great ideas. Just out of curiosity Hunkermunker, what did you search for to find that picture? Most of my searches just gave decoupage or painted eggs!

HUNKERMUNKER Mon 14-Mar-05 10:40:18

Can't remember Polgara - could easily have been Easter egg bat though

MandM Mon 14-Mar-05 11:40:06

Just taken dds entry into nursery - and it looks mighty fine, if i do say so myself!

I bought a large goose egg from the butchers, hard boiled it, rather than blew it to make it a bit more substantial. We then covered it in PVA glue and stuck yellow feathers all over, cut 'feet' and a beak out of orangey-yellow card, stuck those on, put on two googly eyes (you can buy those in big bags for less than £1 at Asda, Wilkos etc, then cut out two oval, wing shapes, stuck feather onto those and attached just at the top to make two flappy wings. We put an arganza bow with a flower in the middle right on the top of it's head, just to make it extra cute.
We covered a photocopy paper box in green card, with green fuzzy stuff on the 'ground' in the middle and made a picket fence and a gate out of brown corrugated card (although the box could just be painted), then got dd (she is only 3) to colour in big sheets of different coloured card and used a craft punch to make flowers from her handywork to decorate the chick's 'garden', with some little wooden ladybirds for extra effect! It looked great, really spring like, but was simple to do. An easter bunny, with white fur or even cotton wool, rather than feathers would also look good and could be surrounded with mini eggs.

One other entry I saw this morning that looked really good was an aquarium. It was a box painted on the outside in a bright colour then painted blue inside with green seaweed, etc painted on the back and up the sides. The 'fish' were eggs (3 in this one) turned sideways, painted in bright colours with cardboard fins and tails attached. They were then mounted onto cardboard tubes of different heights that were painted to blend in with the background so that it looked like they were swimming in the water, and there was gravel and sand on the bottom of the box.
On a similar theme, saw a picture in the local paper this weekend of a child who had one the competition at her school with a 'Nemo' egg. Again it just had cardboard fins and tail attached and was all with orange and white stripes with googly eyes and a mouth.

A few ideas there to keep you going!!!

sweetheart Mon 14-Mar-05 11:45:18

You could do an "eggxclamation mark" (exclamation ! )

And use the egg as the dot!!!

I did rEGGpunzel (repunzel) when I was at school. Painted a toilet tube as a tower and painted a face on the egg and used wool for the long hair!!!

littlemissbossy Mon 14-Mar-05 11:45:51

The Owl and the Pussycat.... 2 hard boiled eggs coloured in as an owl and a cat, 1 egg box lid painted green, with a flag made out of a wooden skewer and paper sail. Use the egg holder parts of the egg box and stick to the inside of boat, then sit the owl and the cat in them. And you could write the first line of the poem around the outside of the boat. I did this once with my god-daughter and she won!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now