Talk

Advanced search

Is this the right section to ask advice about trying to dye something???

(11 Posts)
carrielou2007 Sat 25-Oct-08 19:55:05

Hi all hope I have the right section for my question, I apologise if not...

I have bought a lovely buggysnuggle footmuff for my pushchair and am wondering if I would be able to dye it black?

It is fleecy on the inside and like a shaggy/woolley material on the outside. It is in dark red and is totally wrong colour for my buggies (should have checked before bidding!) and they no longer make this style in black.

It is possible? Would my little one's clothes end up covered in black dye if I tried?

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 19:56:45

You can get sachets of dye you place the sachet in the washing machine with the item and it does it all for you. (I think they are called dylon?). I don't think they run, just wash it a few times.

barbie1 Sat 25-Oct-08 19:57:50

get a cold water dye and put it in your machine. Once dyed re wash (on cold) and any excess dye will be removed so none will end up on childs clothes...good luck

SoupDragon Sat 25-Oct-08 19:59:32

If it is a man made fabric, it will be difficult.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 20:00:52

Could you get some black fabric and cover it?

SoupDragon Sat 25-Oct-08 20:02:13

Sell it on Ebay and buy another one.

carrielou2007 Sat 25-Oct-08 20:05:06

Wow, thanks already for replies!! Think will give it a go then, they don't make this one anymore have been looking for a while now on ebay. Bought a new one on here yesterday totally wrong colour but so lovely couldn't resist. So if this goes pear shaped then never mind. Will go and get some tomorrow, thank you all!!!!

SoupDragon Sat 25-Oct-08 20:06:41

If it is man made fabric, you need a special dye or it will not work.

carrielou2007 Sat 25-Oct-08 20:13:21

Thank you soupdragon, will check on their website maybe not such a good idea then, never mind.

fizzbuzz Sat 25-Oct-08 20:55:23

Sorry to be a killjoy here.

If ths was fleece you won't be able to dye it, as it is manmade fabric...sorry. The shaggy stuff will probably be man made as well

Sorry

vInTaGeVioLeNcE Sat 25-Oct-08 22:08:06

yep - another killjoy here - i used to sell dylon dyes - the fabric you describe is almost certainly polyester and it won't take dyes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: