Talk

Advanced search

How do I sew things up??

(13 Posts)
SummatAnNowt Fri 24-Oct-08 15:04:10

I am new to this and just made a material coaster. I sewed all the way round, turned it inside out and then looked at a tutorial I probably didn't understand correctly to finish it off. It looks hideous! Franken-stitching!

Does anyone have any clear instructions for idiots beginners?

Overmydeadbody Fri 24-Oct-08 15:05:43

I just fold overso the edges are on the inside and finish it off with small stitches on my machine.

SummatAnNowt Fri 24-Oct-08 15:18:46

Would that mean that the stitches are showing then?

Overmydeadbody Fri 24-Oct-08 17:02:35

not if the thread matches the fabric grin

AMumInScotland Fri 24-Oct-08 17:36:55

You could also use a needle and thread (again, as close a match as you have) and sew it so that most of the thread is inside the folds IYSWIM So, medium sized stitch inside the thing, then cross the very short distance to the other piece of fabric, then medium sized stitch inside that side. back and forwards with most of the thead on the inside of the coaster, and just the tiny little bits going from one piece to the other - if you're very neat it might look no different from the machined parts!

SummatAnNowt Sat 25-Oct-08 14:34:17

I think that's what I tried. I will keep practising!

fizzbuzz Sat 25-Oct-08 14:50:35

Did you clip the curves (assuming it was circular coaster..)?

twoluvlykids Sat 25-Oct-08 14:54:31

I'm with fizzbuzz - clip the curves if there are any, even taking out small triangle shaped pieces, but don't cut into the stitching. Give it a good press with an iron, and it might look better.

Post us a picture of it smile

SummatAnNowt Sat 25-Oct-08 16:18:04

I am not posting a picture! It was my first try, and yes it was supposed to be circular, but I think I should have started with a square!

fizzbuzz Sat 25-Oct-08 16:27:29

Don't forget to pivot at the corners with a square, and clip them grin

twoluvlykids Sun 26-Oct-08 06:48:40

I wasn't going to take the piss out of your 1st attempt, but just have a look and see if there were any obvious (to an experienced sewer) mistakes.

Don't give up!!!!

SummatAnNowt Sun 26-Oct-08 18:39:23

pivot??? clip??? It's like a foreign language!

I will see about getting a photo up in the next few days.

I don't mind piss-taking, I would just fear condescenion wink

fizzbuzz Sun 26-Oct-08 21:05:39

No, not piss taking, it was said in my best Miss Brodie voice! grin

Pivoting means, leave needle in fabric, lift up foot and pivot fabric round ready to sew next edge. Clipping corners, means cutting at 45 degrees across corner next to stitching to make turning it look neater when turned inside out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now