Talk

Advanced search

Debbie Bliss wool - can I get it cheap/use a substitute?

(6 Posts)
appledumpling Fri 24-Oct-08 10:09:49

I borrowed a book from the library full of really lovely patterns for babies to 4 year olds.

I have now realised that they all use Debbie Bliss wools or similar and blimey they are expensive!

The jacket I would like to knit is in Debbie Bliss Merino Aran Red 700 which is £4.45 a ball so over £30 to knit the whole thing.

Does anyone know where I can get it cheap (none on ebay at the minute) or recommend a substitute wool?

Thank you very much for any help.

WhereWolfTheWildThingsWere Fri 24-Oct-08 10:12:19

There was a really good website, I will google hang on.

WhereWolfTheWildThingsWere Fri 24-Oct-08 10:15:55

Hmmm not much cheaper, sorry.

Might be worth a quick look though

florenceuk Fri 24-Oct-08 15:03:29

you just need an aran-weight wool. Cashmerino is very soft, but if you can find something that knits at 18st to 10cm, you can substitute. Sirdar supersoft aran would work (if it is for kids) although it's 100% acrylic (not for me) or Hayfield (20% wool) (have a look here www.ethknits.co.uk/frames/frame.htm or if you want wool, Drops Alaska is only £2 a ball www.scandinavianknittingdesign.eu/index1.html. Others have said good things about New Lanark but it is not, to be fair, supersoft.

Janette's rare yarns are worth a look: egsome here and Cucumber patch also have specials on discontinued wool - might be worth a look.

And Ebay is also worth a try for an aran-weight wool.

charitas Fri 24-Oct-08 15:43:55

Stylecraft pure life is very doft, £2 and comes in many weights.

appledumpling Fri 24-Oct-08 16:11:55

Thank you all - I knew there had to be some alternatives but I've only really knitted in bog standard 4-ply and double knit so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now