Talk

Advanced search

How can I 'preserve' a halloween cut pumpkin lantern?

(9 Posts)
gaussgirl Wed 22-Oct-08 20:02:33

Any ideas? I need it for this Friday when the Cubs are having their party, and again A WEEK later! I will do the usual- cut off the top, hollow it out, cut a face in it, candle inside but has anyone any ideas about where- apart from the fridge!- I can leave it so it might survive til Halloween itself?

I would readily consider the fridge but who's got that amount of space in it? I have cool dryish places (with a rat potential...), or would outdoors away from direct sunlight be better?

KnickKnack Wed 22-Oct-08 22:17:24

have you got a garage or shed outdoors?
It definately needs to be somewhere cold

stealthsquiggle Wed 22-Oct-08 22:19:25

Give up now grin

Cool and dry and dark is your best bet - garage? I am sure the rats will find tastier things to eat..

mellyonion Wed 22-Oct-08 22:21:02

i'm sure i once read to seal the cut edges with vaseline to help it keep a bit longer...........but that may be COMPLETELY wrong! got to be worth a go...mine always end up a mouldy pile of gunk if i do them too soon...blush

SqueakyPop Wed 22-Oct-08 22:25:48

Keep it cold.

Maybe you could put a bag of ice inside it.

southeastastra Wed 22-Oct-08 22:28:28

ours lasted for ages outside. i think i threw it away in december

gaussgirl Thu 23-Oct-08 08:39:37

Yes, I did 2 last year I recall and one was showing signs of mould in 4 days but the other basically desiccated- it dried right out!

I'd originally thought I'd leave off buying them until as close to the time as possible but the reality is, the pumpkins would have come from the same crate in the shop and I would have had less choice.

I will try the vaseline and garage shelf idea. And I think the ice idea is worthy of consideration, too!

I'm doing a kids party on Halloween and the fact is I have SO much to do- I always go overboard on the decoration- that I don't really have the time to carve yet more pumpkins!

pookamoo Thu 23-Oct-08 08:42:45

They look quite good when they go a bit crinkly round the edges, it makes them more scary!
But they do whiff a bit!
I'd say outside.

chapeloffearstickchick Thu 23-Oct-08 08:42:51

you can buy v relistic fake pumpkins in asda grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: