Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How rubbish is my sewing machine?!

(8 Posts)
pamplemousse Wed 15-Oct-08 20:21:32

Please be honest...!
To me its rubbish because I have no instructions and can't find them anywhere on the internet as its so old and crap
Its a Crown Point 645f
It has tension issues that I can't resolve mainly because I can't thread the bloody thing properly.
Shall I just get rid of it and put it down to experience?

moocowme Wed 15-Oct-08 21:03:48

is the company that made it still in business? you should write to them and ask them for a copy.

moocowme Wed 15-Oct-08 21:04:26

do you have a friendly repair man? perhaps he has seen this model before and could show you how to thread it for no charge.

Charliepw Thu 16-Oct-08 18:26:02

don't get rid of it yet.
a lot of sewing machines are similar (especially the old ones), so maybe you could take it to a sewing shop and they could help you with threading it correctly.
where are you, near me in London?
Or take a photograph of it at the front and perhaps somebody can help, via the power of the internet.

Once threaded it correctly, perhaps you could then fiddle with the tension on the front and try a medium weight fabric.

good luck

pamplemousse Thu 16-Oct-08 18:35:43

Thank you both
I'm not near to you unfortunately but thanks for the offer
Hmmm I could stick a pic on my profile, would you look at it? All I have to do is figure out how to get a pic on there! Or where else would you suggest?
Thanks

katch Fri 17-Oct-08 20:48:45

What moocowme said- there's at least three mobile repair men in my (rural) area, and you could have it serviced at the same time (mine cost about £25). Obviously, ask if they recognise the make before booking them.

pamplemousse Sat 18-Oct-08 20:58:57

Oh is it only 25 pounds? My sister (a clothes maker) seemed to think it would be 60 which put me off.
I shall get off my bottom and get on the phone, thanks ladies .

Charliepw Sun 19-Oct-08 09:58:43

i was quoted £45 for my old Necchi machine, from a local guy to me in Hackney, i thought that was steep but apparently that would include all parts.

i don't know how you stick a photograph up, but if you do manage to then let me know.

Here is a link to a general "How to thread a sewing machine"
www.ehow.com/how_5839_thread-sewing-machine.html

Or a video of a woman threading a basic front mounted machine
www.expertvillage.com/video/9139_sewing-basics-thread-machine.htm (btw - i haven't watched this all the way through)

good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now