Talk

Advanced search

Could I make a house sign? Or do you know someone who could?

(8 Posts)
snickersnack Sun 12-Oct-08 21:23:10

And how? The dcs have a playhouse in the garden which they love, and I would like them to have a sign with their names on it but the ones I've been able to find online are sooo expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I could make one - would need to be able to be left out in all weathers, obviously. Alternatively, if someone knows of any crafty types who would knock one up for a fee, I'd be very grateful...

Flibbertyjibbet Sun 12-Oct-08 21:34:52

I'd just do something on the pc, print it and laminate it.

KatyMac Sun 12-Oct-08 21:37:08

Or do one in mosaic tiles on a bit of marine ply?

Or paint on a bit of marine ply

Or burn the name into a piece of wood

Or carve the name into a piece of wood

snickersnack Sun 12-Oct-08 21:47:28

Carving and burning would almost certainly end in disaster. Printing and laminating might work - there's a laminating machine at work I think...might look into the mosaic tile option as well - do you mean individual tiles to create the letters? The timber shop at the end of the road must have some marine ply offcuts kicking around.

KatyMac Sun 12-Oct-08 21:49:22

Yep either contrasting tiles making up the letters or just one colour forming the letters on the wood (which will need varnishing - with an epoxy (2pack) ideally

Or use pasta (get the children to do it) to form the letters and then varnish it (as above)

pickupthismess Sun 12-Oct-08 21:59:55

or if you give up, try this lot

www.woodworms.org.uk they were pretty cheap when I bought some stuff from them.

GinghamRibbon Tue 14-Oct-08 19:45:00

You could get a piece of wood paint it with acrylic and decorate with the names using paint. Then cover with yacht varnish.

quickdrawnandquartered Wed 15-Oct-08 13:13:46

I did what GinghamRibbon suggested for a 'No Junk Mail' sign for our front door.
I bought cut a section off a plank of tongue and groove wood and painted it with acrylic.
easy peasy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: