Talk

Advanced search

Wool advice please- baby blanket?

(11 Posts)
Miyazaki Mon 06-Oct-08 22:07:01

I want to knit a small blanket for a friend. I have knitted a few things (super easy baby cardie, big moss stitch scarf), but am definitely a novice. I need nice soft chunky wool, was thinking of moss stitch with a border (saw a pattern in JL on Saturday).

I was thinking of debbie bliss cashmerino aran, but I need 8 balls and it works out to be super expensive. Any of you hipknitters got any top tips for nice soft, chunky wool that is a bit more purse friendly? And any great online shops - have googled, but am a bit out of my depth.

I thought that cream or a soft grey would be ok for a new baby?

WouldYouCouldYouWithAGoat Mon 06-Oct-08 22:09:27

this stuff is lovely and a bargain. it is quite chunky. the alaska looks lovely with a bright red trim.

Miyazaki Tue 07-Oct-08 13:51:12

Thank you so much! It is just what I was looking for, and have got 8 balls of wool (I got alaska), + p&p for £18 something - instead £45...

smile

WouldYouCouldYouWithAGoat Tue 07-Oct-08 15:22:34

glad to be of service! you should join ravelry.

Miyazaki Tue 07-Oct-08 18:40:13

what's ravelry?

crochetdiva Tue 07-Oct-08 18:44:49

Ravelry is like facebook for yarnies ... you have to register for an invitation - and it's an absolute mine of information ... love it, love it, love it!

Ceolas Tue 07-Oct-08 18:52:34

If your pattern is for aran, that yarn will make it a little bigger. Agree cashmerino is £££ but it's lovely!

Miyazaki Tue 07-Oct-08 21:14:05

Thanks - have registered with Ravelry, but think I may be drummed out for being a bit crap!

Ceolas Tue 07-Oct-08 21:52:06

Not at all. Everyone's welcome! Join the mumsknitters group

EachPeachPearMum Thu 09-Oct-08 20:52:28

goat thanks for that link... very helpful smile

Miyazaki Tue 14-Oct-08 10:06:54

Wouldyoucouldyou The wool you recommended has come and it is perfect. Massive thank you for taking the time. When I have worked ravelry out I will post pics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now