Talk

Advanced search

Need some encouragement, need help

(15 Posts)
melsy Tue 01-Mar-05 21:18:34

Having changed direction in my business; ideas flowing , 1 good priced commision , lots of interest. Im having problems really getting going. I paint large canvases to commision as well as working on a collection/series for a gallery owner,(nothing cement yet, she needs to see them).

I seem to only be able to get one canvas done every 6-8 weeks. Im only able to work saturdays and some evenings. Mainly cos I am nervous whenever I start a fresh one, but also cos I seem to flow better when doing the small mock ups I do on watercolour. It also doesnt help that Dh thinks IM too slow and its not gonna amount to much if I go at this rate(Its ahobby to him right now thanx eh !!), never mind Im a mum full time too and Im battling depression AGAIN.

Anywhoooooo ,so I focus on moving forward : essbee suggested(hope u dont mind essbee , but I like to give credit due), that I put my mini ones to good purpose, and get them sold as prints. Im thinking may be on small block canvases. Anyone know where how I wouod do this ??

I just know this is the right direction,I feel it is.Its just theres so much to contend with ; confidence, networks, slow word of mouth etc, no chidlcare. Im a good salesperson , but just seem to hold myself back for some reason.

Its also hard ownig up to not being all singing and dancing and sorted, and having to ask for help.

Dior Tue 01-Mar-05 21:22:37

Message withdrawn

melsy Tue 01-Mar-05 21:26:51

oops right direection is the paiting in total , not necccesarily prints(althought may be who know !!!). soz tired tonight , had funny day.

Dingle Tue 01-Mar-05 21:29:25

melsy, first of all I would like to wish you good luck in your venture. Lacking confidence I understand and I am sure that given the time and opportunity you will win this battle.

It makes sense to try to get an interest in your smaller prints, especially if you seem to work better with them. It would also give you a quicker turnover, wouldn't it?

I have no real advice, but places you might try for starters, local library for info, have you any local craft /art shops, there are always craft fairs, or advertising in magazines!!

Sorry I haven't been much help, but wish you strength in yourself, belief in your ability,
and lots of luck..xx

KatieMac Tue 01-Mar-05 21:32:33

I can't help - but wish you luck with the painting and with the depression.

Concentrating on the smaller pictures maybe the way to go.

Fingers crossed for you
XX

bambi06 Tue 01-Mar-05 21:35:31

i`ve seen people on ebay doing that so have a look if not find out about your nearest craft fairs for spring summer,weekend markets..are you in london cos theres loads of markets here for that sort of thing

melsy Tue 01-Mar-05 21:37:51

Thanx everyone , I will find a way somehow!! Ill google(cos Ilike doing that with EVERYTHING I DO!!!), go to craft shop down the road or even phone some of the shops that sell them.

Its just a relief to get it on here and have some support & a kind of network with like minds. So any other ideas are welcome.

Dior Tue 01-Mar-05 21:41:38

Message withdrawn

melsy Tue 01-Mar-05 21:50:30

I sort of would like to show them but not at the same time. Wouldnt want it to be misconstrued as selling my wares, so to speak !! Or just plain showing off .

Dior Tue 01-Mar-05 21:53:43

Message withdrawn

Chandra Tue 01-Mar-05 22:07:04

Melsy, in order to improve production numbers and quality I would suggest several things:

-Visit as many museums/galleries as you can, sometime some creative thoughts are generated in response to the work you are seeing. If museums or galleries not possible take a look at books at your library

-Always carry a sketch book to write your ideas or do small sketches. Have it at your night table as well.

- Be serious about painting, if you treat it as a hobby it would have returns as a hobby, if you deal with it as a job it is more likely you end up making a comfortable living out of it. One of my teachers said that inspiration is no more than mere concentration. Try to do some work even if you don't feel like doing it, it will get you started and would save you from lots of procastinating. If you want to do it professionally you need to devote at least 16 hrs per week. With time, as your ideas flow more freely and with the practice you will become faster.

-"Sell your wares at any opportunity". Is there's an invitational, a juried exhibition, an art fair, whatever, try to get yourself in it. Once you get a good name you can be more selective about them.

Hope it helps.

Chandra Tue 01-Mar-05 22:08:25

and... very important, try to keep contact with simmilarly minded people they can really help you to improve your work and to keep you interested in the project.

melsy Tue 01-Mar-05 22:59:46

Thanx for that Chandra , the selling is were I need the support. So I will look into your suggestions. What is a Juried exhibition ???

Its not the skills and ability , Ive done art school for 7 years. Inspiration, ideas for the subject come fine, I spend as much time as I can in galleries and exhibitions, taking inspiration from anywere and everywere I go, watch, see. I live at my art library as alumni at local art uni.Its in my blood.
Its what to do with it and how to sell in the right way withought devaluing the time and effort and self belief I struggle with.

It was actually my dh reffering to it as a HOBBY which upset me very much , not me!!! and then his contradiction that I take it too seriuosly and become over diligent in my process.

Chandra Wed 02-Mar-05 10:40:31

They are like a competition, you submit work and wait to be one of the accepted. Normally, these exhibitions have a higher reputation and atract a good number of serious buyers or gallery owners looking for new talent.

Chandra Wed 02-Mar-05 11:06:33

I don't know if this will help but here it is:

Unless you are a very recognised talent spending an extremely long time in the same canvas could be very costly (yep, I know, it's about art not money but it is difficult to make money if we become too purist about that ). If you spend 2months in a sole canvas you are expected to earn at least 2000 pounds in it, the risk is increased because you are placing all your eggs in the same basket while if you do several works in the same time the risk is spread over several paintings which mean that you have a higher possibility that one of them is chosen by a buyer, if one doesn't get sold is not such a big loss, and you get LOTS of practice in the process AND you experience less mind blocks as well.

My MIL paints professionally, I don't know how she does it (psychologycally speaking I think is madness) but she paints between 25-30 canvas in 3 months (never smaller than 4x4ft but usually the double of that size). She is a bit of a capitalist pig: She sees the gallery, imagine what pictures (and it sizes) she can acommodate in the space, makes notes, go home and start working (5-6 hrs per day at least 5 days per week), she always pays for a very expensive catalogue production even if the gallery is small (I can say that when the catalog is fine she expects to have at least about 30% of the work sold before the openning).

She always keeps her best work of each collection and sent it to juried exhibitions which normally, if she gets them in, give her a "bigger" name as an artist and the excuse to sell more expensive.

The work that doesn't sell is recirculated then between interior design shops and small galleries that don't have exhibitions of a sole artist, if it doesn't sell it goes to the next shop/gallery until it has been around for about a year, if even then the work remains unsold then she uses it as wedding gifts or trades it for other services (her financial advisor is paid with these paintings but so is the man that brings the wood for the fireplace )

Oh, and forget to say, she works like crazy for 3 months but rests 3 monts before starting the next "painting bout".

Hope it helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now