Talk

Advanced search

To shorten a knee length denim skirt with buttons down the front.....can I jsut chop the bottom off??

(6 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Thu 02-Oct-08 21:11:40

I know that it will do the usual denim fray thing over time, but will there be any terminal ill effects????

solo Thu 02-Oct-08 21:19:05

You could cut it down. Wouldn't have thought any real problems in doing so, but couldn't you hem it?

twoluvlykids Thu 02-Oct-08 21:21:36

It might look a bit weird with a button or buttonhole at the bottom. Can you shorten it from the top? Sounds odd, but it can be done.

Or you could attach something round the bottom, like groovy ribbon.

Thankyouandgoodnight Thu 02-Oct-08 21:24:01

I was hoping to chop it inbetween buttons as it were (or just above one so there's a decent gap to the next one. I'm rather short of time hence hoping my short cut with no further work will do the job!

twoluvlykids Thu 02-Oct-08 21:27:52

Hang on - knee length and you're going shorter!!!!

grin just go for it

Gettingbiggernow Thu 02-Oct-08 21:30:33

If you want it to look like it was always short then you need to hem it.

Otherwise it WILL look like a skirt you took a pair of scissors to smile If you're not fussed about that, go right ahead!!

Most denim does fray a bit, but how depends on the type ie if it has stretch to it or not.

at a pinch you could cut it down then deliberately fray it a bit (about 1.5 cms from bottom). Is still useful to sew a single straight line on the machine to stop it fraying above that width tho. Not all fabric is meant to fray neatly tho so if you are going to try, cut off less to start with and have a practice first!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now