Talk

Advanced search

Lavender pockets for drawers.

(9 Posts)
Pan Sat 20-Sep-08 20:44:02

Dd and I have been making pockets of muslin stuffed with Lavender we have cut today from the garden.

Friend pops round and imparts her opininon that the lavender needs to be dried out first in newspaper......is this right? She couldn't say why, but to me the aroma is based in the moisture, and to dry them out takes this away? What's the MN view on this please? Anyone??

forkhandles Sat 20-Sep-08 21:39:32

I had a quick google and it seems that most people do dry the lavender before making the bags. Maybe it's something to do with not having any moisture in your drawers. But then I came across these bags being used in the tumble dryer to scent the laundry, so you could always do this to dry them out if you want to!

moondog Sat 20-Sep-08 21:40:23

I would think they need drying or may rot.
(Wot a lovely father you sound Pan!)

moondog Sat 20-Sep-08 21:40:30

I would think they need drying or may rot.
(Wot a lovely father you sound Pan!)

expatinscotland Sat 20-Sep-08 21:43:07

you dry the lavender first.

you can do this in newspaper, by pressing, or by sandwiching lavender between two dampened kitchen roll towels and putting them in the microwave for about 20 seconds (you sort of have to play with it).

the scent sometimes needs topped up by sprinkling the dried lavender with lavender oil.

ranting Sat 20-Sep-08 21:45:28

You have to dry it, otherwise the moisture will make it go a bit mouldy, I think.

PurpleGerbil Sat 20-Sep-08 21:52:38

Message withdrawn

Pan Sun 21-Sep-08 00:00:46

Ooops! I had an internet connection miss since posting!

Thanks all. So the advice IS to dry out first. Ok. Will leave the sacks on the dining room table for a wee while, a week or so.

Yes moonie, I am an absolute daddy hero!!

Really, dd loved the smell, so I improvised on what to do with it.

Califrau Sun 21-Sep-08 00:15:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now