Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Craft fairs

(11 Posts)
Boblina Thu 18-Sep-08 11:41:29

Hi all, I am trying to sell some of the things I have been making to make extra money. I have been looking at craft fairs in London and Essex but they seem to be few and far between (well and expensive). Can anyone recommend any or know of any? Even school bazaars are good?! Help. Any suggestions and advice please. Thanks

Whizzz Thu 18-Sep-08 16:15:32

Google online - sometimes groups have lists posted & you can get on their mailing lists. Look out in local papers for forthcoming events at schools/churches etc.

My advice is start small & see how you go. Remember its not just the table cost you need to factor in but things like bags/price tags etc.Some of the larger fairs also ask for things like insurance

lucykate Sat 20-Sep-08 06:39:16

for any fair you do, you will need public liability insurance (about £50 for a year), covers stuff like someone tripping and banging their head on your table. do you know anyone you could share a table with, that would halve all costs. price wise, i would only stock small cheap items at 'pocket money' prices.

craft fairs are very hit and miss, one day you can sell quite a bit, another, not break even.

KDMary Mon 20-Oct-08 13:24:16

Hi Boblina,

Have you heard of Wemake? It is a new craft fair in London that will be taking place in 6 December 2008 and there should be one in the Summer as well. I will be holding a stand there selling cakes and chocolate, but there will be a lot of handmade stuff for sale as well.

If you are interested, let me know on this 'Talk Thread'and I can point you in the right direction. Also the fee is quite reasonable and includes insurance.

Mary

vInTaGeVioLeT Mon 20-Oct-08 18:46:34

boblina - why not try selling on folksy or etsy - very little to lose really - folksy costs 20p to list an item and etsy 20c plus a % of final sale. HTH

Skramble Wed 22-Oct-08 00:52:17

School fairs can be good, you need to have a good selection of cheaper stuff and display your pricier stuff with details on how they can but at a later date as most won't have that much cash on them. Not being snobby but depending on your type of stuff you won't do well in some areas and better at perhaps private schools.

What do you sell/ make? There can be a lot of similar stuff on offer.

shoemad Thu 23-Oct-08 11:10:48

I have been doing craft fairs/art markets for quite a while & am now organising them in the Leeds area so any mum's interested give me a shout. My best advice at getting started is networking at local schools & nurseries, maybe put up a card or give out flyers. Also try your local art college. They usually have their own markets or will be able to give you a list of some in your area.Contact local church halls & community centres about hiring & put on your own fair. It's easy to find enough mums & friends who do make things. Most important tell anyone who will listen what you make & how fab it is!!!! Good luck!!!!

SugaryBits Thu 23-Oct-08 11:20:28

Lots of schools hold "gift evenings" around Christmas and invite people to have a table. My school is having one this year, we are charging £10 per table. Might be worth looking in to to start off with?

kiwibella Fri 24-Oct-08 15:58:53

KDMary... I'm not interested in selling... but I would love to know where this is to come along as a (potential) shopper grin

KDMary Mon 27-Oct-08 00:08:21

Hi Kiwibella and All,

Here is the Wemake website for more information if interested.

http://wemakelondon.blogspot.com/

when: SATURDAY 6th DECEMBER 2008, 11am- 5pm
where: The American Church,
79a Tottenham Court Road,
W1T 5TD
Nearest tube: Goodge Street
Directions

Hope to see you gals there.

KDMary

kiwibella Mon 27-Oct-08 13:44:36

fab site... thanks KDM... all of the work in the blog is very very lovely. It will be a tempting fair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now