Talk

Advanced search

Artists... inspiration please!!

(6 Posts)
KarisTiasMum Tue 16-Sep-08 23:19:48

I love drawing, painting with water colours, oils, acrylics... anything really..

but i never know what to paint! where do i get inspiration from? i always really fancy painting in the evenings etc and have everythig i need, loads of canvasas, paints... but i just sit there for ages never knowing what to do!

its so annoying, i started an art course when i was at college a few years ago but i discovered that i prefer it as a hobby and it was spoilt when its not at my own leisure..so i quit that... but the past few years i just seem to have lost all ideas and inspiration!

help! advice/ ideas please!!

tstar Wed 17-Sep-08 08:16:45

I don't know if this will help but, at school I can remember looking through second hand books and magazines mostly old National Geogaphic and ripping out any picture I liked, whether it was a the whole picture or just a small subject in it.
I would paste them into a book and write next to it, what it is and what I liked about it. Also any quick scetches or ideas you hove however big or small. A scrap book, It is something you can always look back on and add too.
I found it very inspiring in getting all those creative ideas out.
I have only recently remembered this and am in the process of doing it now myself.
I just wish I had the time to create something.

good luck

racingsnake Sun 28-Sep-08 22:31:46

Go to those expensive crafty gallery cafes and look at the pictures on the wall for £300 for something the size of an A4 piece of paper then do something similar but much better. Or what about getting children to commission you - a Cubist take on Igglepiggle ?

saltnshake Thu 02-Oct-08 00:39:09

Have a look on flickr.com - lots of arty crafty groups on there so you can see what other people are doing. Also start by sketching on any old paper - big blank canvas can seem a bit intimidating.

shivermetimbers Thu 02-Oct-08 01:19:42

i like to look through magazines and find interesting images and fit them together like a collage in my mind and paint it.
its weird, but it works.for me anyway.

SuperSillyus Fri 03-Oct-08 06:13:20

Good idea to start on a rough piece of paper.
If it for your own pleasure then that is a personal thing, everyone is interested in something different.
I often get the back of some wallpaper and I let the children help me, then when they have gone to bed I just play with the picture and work into it to my hearts content.

I think it is difficult to just immediately create a masterpiece, you usually have to get in the flow first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now