Talk

Advanced search

Made to measure dress - what measurements do I need to take ?

(6 Posts)
LIZS Sun 14-Sep-08 11:24:01

not really sure this fits this topic but seemed most likely! dd is due to be a bridesmaid in December. Dresses are being made for her and one other. We live 3 1/2 hours away so visiting the dressmaker ourselves is not feasible. What measurements do I need to provide ?

miamla Sun 14-Sep-08 11:33:14

i wouldnt worry if i were you. the dressmaker will ask for the measurements she needs. whenever i've done a long distance commission i've posted the bridesmaid (or her mum if its for a little one) a sketch of a person showing exactly where i need them to measure. so, if you're not sure what bit the dressmaker means, make sure you ask! personally i find it easier if i've got a photo of the bmaid (as an aid to check measurements are roughly right esp useful for a very tall child)
The dressmaker will make a rough mock-up of the dress in a cheaper fabric (but should be of the same weight as true fabric) and post that to you to double check the fitting. Again, I prefer to have photos of this stage so i can see exactly how it fits

i hope it all goes well and that your DD enjoys being a princess for the day

StormInanEcup Sun 14-Sep-08 11:37:17

Message withdrawn

StormInanEcup Sun 14-Sep-08 11:38:03

Message withdrawn

LIZS Sun 14-Sep-08 16:51:57

Thanks for that - have printed off a sihouette and annotated the various measurements plus added those you mention. Hopefully it will prove enough, have a feeling the bride may be getting anxious about all this as other bridesmaid (her niece ) is local and can attend fittings.

miamla Mon 15-Sep-08 12:35:39

storminacup... aww, you've made me blush but I'd have to agree with you, I am pretty good!

Lizs..you're welcome. As long as the bride is using a decent dressmaker you can tell her not to worry. If the dressmaker couldn't cope with doing a long distance order,she shouldn't have accepted the commission. I'm sure it'll be fine, will you keep in touch about how you're getting on? if only to satisfy my curiosity about how others do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now