Talk

Advanced search

Knitters - help please!

(12 Posts)
seeker Thu 11-Sep-08 09:46:21

I can knit. Well, I can do very basic stuff - I have made scarves. I want desperately to make socks, but I think they are too hard for me at the moment. What can I make?

beansmum Thu 11-Sep-08 09:49:29

A plain jumper? Two needles, just simple increase and decrease.

I would just give the socks a go though, You don't need much wool so it's not a(n expensive) disaster if they never get finished.

seeker Thu 11-Sep-08 09:55:22

I bought a knitting magazine today with a special sock leaflet and sock needles free with it, but they all look REALLY difficult! Do you know where I could get an easy pattern?

beansmum Thu 11-Sep-08 10:09:19

I'll have a search for you. You can knit socks without a heel, just as a tube. That might be easier.

MutantSpaceGoat Thu 11-Sep-08 10:11:55

make a hat using dpn's to get the hang of things then do socks. i have never knitted socks but i believe it is v. satisfying. sister is making lovely socks for her dh.

beansmum Thu 11-Sep-08 10:19:51

here is a pattern for tube socks. I've not tried it but I think I will, I made a couple of pairs of socks last year and it was just annoying trying to get them to fit properly, the distance between the toe and heel always ended up wrong.

florenceuk Thu 11-Sep-08 10:25:40

Socks are not hard but you need to follow the pattern. If you can increase/decrease and pick up stitches, you can do a sock. I have only made one pair myself though wink

bundle Thu 11-Sep-08 10:32:32

these are my first socks...am getting heaps of encouragement and technical help online from Ravelry..

smile

seeker Thu 11-Sep-08 13:03:35

Those are your FIRST socks.....!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'd better stick to scarves.....

stitch Thu 11-Sep-08 13:07:46

very nice bundle

DutchOma Thu 11-Sep-08 13:10:50

That's not a sock, it's a fingerless glove grin

bundle Thu 11-Sep-08 14:33:46

snigger

I thank yew!

<<am petrified of the heel, so cast on a hat for dd2 last night to delay it!!>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now