Talk

Advanced search

I just have to tell you all how wonderful DutchOma is

(40 Posts)
giddykipper Wed 10-Sep-08 20:24:15

She has knitted DS a beautiful comfort blanket to replace the one he has loved to death. He has gone to sleep hugging it.

She's the best.

LittleMyDancing Wed 10-Sep-08 20:27:41

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

that's really lovely

now we all want one! grin

DutchOma Thu 11-Sep-08 09:29:02

Thank you Giddykipper and we'll have to see what can be done, LMD. There may soon be a second round of DutchOma offers. After my holiday. grin

LittleMyDancing Thu 11-Sep-08 09:35:45

Are you really a Dutch Oma, DutchOma? I used to live in Holland so your name always makes me smile.

<<not sucking up for knitted items, definitely not>> grin

DutchOma Thu 11-Sep-08 10:01:47

Yes, I really, really. I am the SubUrbanDryad's mother and Oma to her little boy.
So what do you want knitting then?
And where in Holland did you live? We are going on Sunday for a fortnight, to Ommen. grin

LittleMyDancing Thu 11-Sep-08 10:30:36

We lived in The Hague - I was born out there and we lived there until I was in my twenties.

Sadly, I don't speak much Dutch, as I went to an international school that spoke French first of all, and then to an English boarding school.

I can speak ein klein beetje Hollands wink

(but probably can't spell it to save my life)

I was teasing about the knitting grin

DutchOma Thu 11-Sep-08 13:15:26

I was born in the Hague too.
Klein beetje Nederlands is beter dan helemaal geen Nederlands. grin Maybe we'll get picked up for not using English, although I have got away with it elsewhere on the board.

LittleMyDancing Thu 11-Sep-08 13:44:40

I have however been left with a lifelong addiction to salted liquorice, and a deep disappointment that you can't buy vla or chocolade hagel very easily over here....

and those little sugar heart sweets, they only seem to exist over there!

grin

LittleMyDancing Thu 11-Sep-08 13:45:32

oooo a fellow The Hague person! I was born in the Bronovo Ziekenhuis, apparently they've knocked that building down now angry

my dad still lives over there, so I get updates every so often.

theSuburbanDryad Thu 11-Sep-08 13:49:09

Yeah - she is pretty fab!! wink We're off to Holland on Sunday! <<far too excited emoticon needed>>

theSuburbanDryad Thu 11-Sep-08 13:49:58

LMD - there is a sweet shop near me (in High Wycombe) which sells "drop"!! Shall I bring you some back from Holland?!

LittleMyDancing Thu 11-Sep-08 14:15:27

oh that's very kind, but my dad keeps me supplied. and someone told me that you're not meant to eat them when pregnant, is that right?

theSuburbanDryad Thu 11-Sep-08 14:17:59

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never heard that. shock

I hope that doesn't apply to patat and frikandel as well, otherwise i might as well cancel my cabin on the boat!

LittleMyDancing Thu 11-Sep-08 14:22:14

ooo are you going on the boat!? I used to travel that way all the time - do you go Harwich to Hoek van Holland?

Oh, the memories....grin

Apparently too much drop can bring on early labour? Or that's what I was told angry

oh, hagel sandwiches, and poffertjes! I'd kill for a big plate of them with butter and icing sugar. Yum.

Miaou Thu 11-Sep-08 14:28:27

I have never been to Holland, but just to comment on the OP, yes she is fab isn't she smile - the blanket is beautiful, I have seen a pic!

theSuburbanDryad Thu 11-Sep-08 14:31:46

LMD - yes we're going on the night boat, as my thinking was that ds would sleep most of the way!! <<prays to any deity that might be listening!!>> Harwich - Hoek van Holland it is, on the Stena line. Did you ever travel by Olau, think it was Sheerness - Vlissingen?

LittleMyDancing Thu 11-Sep-08 14:36:53

I went that way once, and got horribly confused at Vlissingen and nearly got on the wrong boat blush

Never again!

When I used to do it, it was run by Sealink though. That's going back a few years....

I'm very jealous, I hope you have a lovely time!

theSuburbanDryad Thu 11-Sep-08 14:38:13

I hope so too LMD! wink I am having a buggy dilemma at the moment!

LittleMyDancing Thu 11-Sep-08 15:02:19

a which buggy dilemma, or a buggy or not dilemma?

theSuburbanDryad Thu 11-Sep-08 15:13:35

No, I'll definitely need to take a buggy (ds walks very well at 20 months but has a tendency to run off when he sees things that interest him, or do Mission Impossible stunt when on reigns!) but out of the 2 buggies i have, one of them (this one) has broken straps and ds stands up in it and generally monkeys about, and the other one has no brakes and is not nearly so comfortable for ds or for me to push!

theSuburbanDryad Thu 11-Sep-08 15:14:17

(Sorry for thread hijack btw blush)

LittleMyDancing Thu 11-Sep-08 15:15:09

oh, that is a dilemma. I think I might lean in favour of straps when travelling, sometimes you just need to be sure that they're strapped in securely and can't get away!

No chance of buying new straps for the other one before Sunday?

theSuburbanDryad Thu 11-Sep-08 15:24:38

No, no chance. I bought some reins (or reigns? or is that what a king does?) but they don't keep him in well enough. The trouble is, it's the clips at the end of the straps which are broken, which is a design fault of the buggy, but no-one seems to sell it anymore, unless as a whole unit, so basically the entire pushchair is rendered useless - which is a PITA because it was an expensive one and is my only rear facing one for the new baby (due in Feb!)

LittleMyDancing Thu 11-Sep-08 15:51:35

Hmmm, that is a bummer. Surely someone somewhere must sell the clips on their own - but probably not before Sunday!

I think buggy manufacturers build in these bits that go wrong or become obsolete on purpose - they've brought out a better version of our Loola chassis now, with a single handle instead of two, whcih makes it easier to push with one hand, but you have to buy the whole pushchair, you can't just buy a chassis. angry

we have another baby expected in March, so was hoping to get the new chassis and keep the pushchair seat, carry cot and car seat from the old one. Looks like that won't happen. Tsk.

DutchOma Thu 11-Sep-08 17:06:59

LMD and SUD, the thing about 'drop' is that it is very salty and will bring your blood pressure up. Thar's why you shouldn't have too much of it.
The poffertjes:- I have a poffertjes pan and we bring the packets of Koopmans mix home and have them for a treat for Sunday tea. Do you do oliebollen for New Years Eve? Apparently hardly anybody does them any more in Holland, and I haven't for the past couple of years.
Bronovo ziekenhuis, no I don't think that's there any more, nor the Huishoudschool in the Laan van Meerdervoort where I went for a year. My grandfather worked at the Volharding, that was another hospital, don't think that's there any more either.
Oh well, what memories

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now