Talk

Advanced search

novice cross stitch question....

(5 Posts)
ingles2 Mon 08-Sep-08 13:24:49

MIL has knitted DS1 a scarf in arsenal colours and wanted a sew on badge. Of course you can't buy them anymore so I've just cross stitched the arsenal emblem. Now,...as this is only my 2nd attempt at cross stitch I've got no idea what to do next. Do I attach it to a backing in some way, and then over sew the edges? Help please x

Tommy Mon 08-Sep-08 13:30:27

hmm...don't know about that. I stitched something and then sewed it on to some other fabric but I'd stitched it onto a band of aida which was already hemmed.

I did see in a shop the other day a soluble backing - you stitch the pattern onto it ad then wash the item and the aida thing dissolved - but if you've already done it then that's not going to help is it?!

Sorry - I've bene no help at all there - hopefully someone more useful will come along soon!

ingles2 Mon 08-Sep-08 13:35:54

oh crap!...I've probably done the wrong thing haven't I!
I was thinking about spray mounting it onto some felt then oversewing. Got to be worth a go...unless someone has a wonderful (and easy) technique...<hopeful>

missmama Mon 08-Sep-08 13:41:14

If you have left enough space on the aida can you not back it onto a piece of felt and then hem it. When you have a neat square you then treat it as a patch and sew it on. So in effect it is double hemmed?

iesha Fri 12-Sep-08 19:57:03

Don't know if your still there but you can back it with iron on hemmer, or you could cover the back with PVA dry, cout around the emblem and then stitch on.

In future you can buy waste aida, it's a special kind of x stitch matereial that you use to stitch onto what ever (tshirt, scarf etc) and then wet and remove the aida to leave the pattern on your fabric.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now