Talk

Advanced search

Craft ideas for SN teenagers.

(7 Posts)
tigersmum Mon 08-Sep-08 10:28:15

My husband is taking a class for craft once a week and the children are quite limited in waht they can do. Has anyone any suggestions, they have a good budget so can buy stuff to do its just what really.

MatNanPlus Mon 08-Sep-08 11:13:18

thickened paints for applying with hands to paper/canvas

clay / plaster for modelling

with not knowing the client groups abilities it is hard to suggest other mediums.

I would suggest you do a link to this thread in the SN section for the parents to add to.

TotalChaos Mon 08-Sep-08 11:17:30

some very simple scrapbooking - so they can put pictures of family/fave pop stars/telly characters/fave places in.

tigersmum Mon 08-Sep-08 14:56:44

Thats great thanks, a few to be getting on with.

Whizzz Mon 08-Sep-08 15:09:51

Stringing beads to make jewellery, bookmarks, keyrings etc - good for improving motor skills too!
Collages of their favourite things cut out of magazines?

Dingle Thu 11-Sep-08 19:19:36

AS well as crafting myself, my DD has Down Syndrome so I have some knowledge of issues that the teenagers may encounter but obviously the range of abilities may vary enormously.

Have you any idea of what disabilities your group have? Are you taking learning disabilities and/or physical disabilities.

Here are some idea off the top of my head, if you need any further help, please just shout and I will try to help as much as I can.

Cardmaking- basic card blanks, glitter glues, die cut shapes, even some easier stamped images depending on capabilities.

Cross stitch on something like the larger gauge plastic canvas and a thicker tapestry type thread as opposed to embroidery silks.

AS Whizzz said, threading larger beads onto cord- would be great for fine motor skills.

Fabric painting, use sponges, hands, feet, potatoes....

Playdough can be very theraputic and again, great for building up hand muscles, coordination, control, fine motor skill...
even rolling out sausage shapes and coiling them up into pots. I have never ventured into other moulding products- my daughter is 6- but I am sure others can advise- but be aware there may be sensory issues involved.

I will keep thinking......

RubyRioja Thu 11-Sep-08 19:22:43

I would guess a good one might be ceramic painting. I have used super paints from Baker Ross and plain white china from woolies as it can be very simple or very subtle and detailed depending on the artist.

Have used from 18mths to 9 years q successfully and the mums joined in, so I think it has broad appeal.

Have a very 'real' feeling piece of art to take home and also make good gifts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now