Talk

Advanced search

I'd love to learn to knit properly. I'd like to start with a hat and scarf for dd for this winter. Any ideas on where I could find a pattern?

(4 Posts)
TigerFeet Sun 07-Sep-08 22:10:18

Title says it all really

I can cast on, cast off, knit and purl. I would love to be a proper knitter like my granny - she could turn out complex creations whilst simultaneously chatting, watching countdown and completing the crossword.

DD needs a hat for winter - preferably one with ear flaps. I do a mean pom pom. Could you wise crafty people point me in the direction of a pattern?

TIA

kikidee Sun 07-Sep-08 22:23:51

Hello, how old is your DD? I have just knitted my DD a cabled hat with ear flaps from a Zoe Mellor book. I requested the book from the library as it was the only thing in it that I wanted to knit. There's a photo here. It's the blue cabled one but it looks nicer in the book (and in real life). DD is 17 months and I did the small but there is a medium and a large.

TigerFeet Sun 07-Sep-08 22:27:25

She's 4 kikidee - do you think the large would be big enough? That link has some lovely stuff, exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for

kikidee Sun 07-Sep-08 22:39:19

I do think so. I just checked the pattern and you have an extra 24 stitches at the start for the large which would be approximately 10cm so I think large would be quite a lot bigger. Small is quite small - DD has a pea head - and I haven't tried it on her yet but it looks like it will fit. The Sublime book of children's DK is also good for that age. It's here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now