Talk

Advanced search

sewing machine recommendations fo r a child please............

(7 Posts)
murphyslaw Wed 03-Sep-08 09:29:27

My dd aged 9 is really into her sewing (unlike me I am totally useless). She desperately wants a sewing machine but the reviews that I have read about the childrens ones havent been good.

DOes anyone have any experience of these machines or can anyone recommend an easy adults machine to use?

thanks

Umlellala Wed 03-Sep-08 09:33:26

Apparently John Lewis are bringing out a (cheap) retro red one... Can't find on website, but they do have this one

I would def say get an adult's one. They use normal sewing machines at secondary school (so not long away). She'll be fine if she's sensible.

wilbur Wed 03-Sep-08 09:35:59

Where do you live, Murphyslaw? I have an old Singer that I would be happy to give your daughter. It is quite old but works fine, nothing special, but would be a good starter machine. I don't have the instructions, but I can show the threading etc, and Singer might also be able to help. I am in SW London.

murphyslaw Wed 03-Sep-08 09:46:25

thanks wilbur I really appreciate the offer you are very kind - but I live in Wales so its a bit far to travel grin

Umlellala - I saw this one in JL yesterday wasnt sure. Probably will go with this as the kids ones are approx £25 anyway.

wilbur Wed 03-Sep-08 10:09:34

Yes, would cost more in petrol these days! Good on your dd though, sewing is a great thing to learn and tremendously satisfying. Perhaps she'll be a designer one day.

Umlellala Wed 03-Sep-08 10:34:57

JMLdirect.com do a mini sewing machine - called the Easy Stitch. You can also look on jml website but watch out for the automatic video)

murphyslaw Wed 03-Sep-08 10:37:25

she is loving it - we made lavender bags this summer. She is currently trying to make a wedding dress for her teddy bear hmm

My mum is great at sewing - I however am dreadful but then I have never been taught how to do it in the first place! I really should learn.

Shes also trying to learn knitting but is struggling a little. It has forced me to pick up the needles after a break of 20 years! (my nan taught me to knit when i was small) I can only do purl and plain but we are getting by!!!

Thanks for the help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now