Talk

Advanced search

Could a yarn-knowledgeable person come and help me please?

(12 Posts)
TooTicky Tue 02-Sep-08 16:31:10

I am confused about weights/thicknesses.
I'm okay with DK and chunky and super chunky but get flummoxed by worsted and sportweight and things and I just wondered if there was a nice helpful website that had a picture of them all laid out and nicely labelled, because I can't work out how they relate to each other.
[hopeful]

Tatties Tue 02-Sep-08 16:44:19

Sport = 4-ply
Light worsted = dk
Worsted = Aran

According to a table I have

TooTicky Tue 02-Sep-08 16:46:27

Oh thank you Tatties, I do love you smile

Tatties Tue 02-Sep-08 16:48:21

smile

EachPeachPearMum Wed 03-Sep-08 17:27:38

Does this help?
I have seen a lovely table with pictures of wool, needle size suggestions, yardage, gauge and everything but I cannot remember where!

TooTicky Wed 03-Sep-08 19:35:10

Ooh thank you, that does look good smile

ranting Thu 04-Sep-08 09:49:02

yarndex has a table on it somewhere but, if you put the yarn in, it will come up with other suitable yarns iyswim.

oggsfrog Thu 04-Sep-08 19:40:26

In the back pages of the Simply Knitting magazine there is an illustrated guide to yarn weights showing photos of 1,2&3 ply/ 4 ply/ DK/ Aran/ Chunky/ Super Chunky/ Big. It's only small but might be of use.

It also has a litte table of UK to US conversion;
4 ply = Sport
DK = Light Worsted
Aran = Fisherman/Worsted
Chunky = Bulky
Super Chunky = Extra Bulky

These seem to be in every months issue, along with abbreviations guide to basic stitches etc.

TooTicky Fri 05-Sep-08 20:13:32

Thank you both smilesmilesmile

blithedance Fri 05-Sep-08 22:11:09

Basically you are coming up against the distinction between US and UK yarns. The US "worsted" is hard to match being about 20st/10cm, it falls between a standard british DK and Aran. If in doubt do check your ball band and pattern for stitch count/needle size.

TooTicky Fri 05-Sep-08 23:09:04

Oh, I see - I thought it seemed overly complicated.

Flibbertyjibbet Fri 05-Sep-08 23:21:18

Agree with blithedance, I always go off the size of needles rather than the type of yarn. eg some aran takes 4.5mm some takes 5mm, if you match the right size needles as stated on the ball band you will be ok.

But american needles are differently sized so you'll be needing a conversion table argh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now