Talk

Advanced search

I wish to knit some socks. Where can I find an easy pattern and some needles?

(13 Posts)
MrsDisapproving Sat 23-Aug-08 18:36:42

...and am i kidding myself that it will be quite easy?

Ceolas Sat 23-Aug-08 18:44:50

Often the pattern comes with the sock yarn. Haven't done it myself but I hear it's a breeze! grin

If you see Miaou about I know she's done some.

HensMum Sat 23-Aug-08 18:45:27

What level knitter are you? To be able to make socks you need to be able to knit in the round, decrease, pick up stitches, and graft stitches (for the toe). But the majority of knitting a sock is just knit stitch. They are really not that hard!

This article from Knitty.com
Socks 101
is a really good starting point and has a pattern for a dinky little sock done in thick wool as a pratice.
There are loads of great sock patterns on Knitty too. Two good ones for beginners are
Thuja as it uses a thicker yarn than normally used for socks and Fuzzy Feet which are actually felted slippers. You basically knit a great big sock then stick it in the washing machine to felt.

Good luck! Sock knitting is addictive.

Miaou Sat 23-Aug-08 18:52:31

lol ceolas, just seen this smile

MrsDisapproving, you need this - sock kit by regia (you can choose different colours!). The pattern is really easy to follow to make different sizes (I found the knitty one I tried previously too difficult and ended up with a sock that was far too big), the needles are nice and the yarn is soooo comfy. I had never knitted in the round before but found it quite straightforward, once I had got going.

I'm now knitting myself a second pair!

MrsDisapproving Sat 23-Aug-08 18:55:25

oh wow that is wonderful, thank you! can knit and purl and cast on and cast off, can do more complicated stuff with a diagram...am off to shop! thanks!!grin

MrsDisapproving Sat 23-Aug-08 18:57:43

have never knitted in round either - hence if i get a kit with everything i need then less chance of cocking it up!grin

puppydavies Sat 23-Aug-08 19:01:23

socks are fun although keeping the tension on both socks constant turns out to be a bit of a challenge. i found bamboo dpns good because they grip the yarn, metal needles the stitches can drop off the end. sets of 5 are good because you can keep knitting if you lose one. brittany will replace broken needles, but not lost ones it turns out (i tried my luck ) there is a way of knitting socks with two circs but i've not done that so i don't know if it's easier than dpns. i've heard people suggest toe up as it avoids kitchener stitching the toes together but personally i find it easier to graft than to do a good stretchy cast off. a crochet cast off can help. i'd go to knitty firt they have loads of patterns and great tutorials.

SueW Sat 23-Aug-08 19:23:34

Have fun. I love knitting socks although I have only done 4 or 5 pairs, three of which I have given away as presents. Easy once you get started and so small you can slip it into your handbag and take it anywhere.

I've found a ball or two of sock yarn, DPNs, the pattern, scissors, and a few other knick knacks fit nicely into a Cadburys Chocolate Fingers biscuits tin, the ones you can usually get at Christmas which have three boxes of biscuits in. This makes carrying knitting slightly difficult in the size of handbag I prefer but I do like my tins.

ranting Sat 23-Aug-08 20:06:30

It's not that hard and actually you don't have to bother grafting the toes if you knit 'em toe up (which is my preferred method of sock knitting anyway)this is a toe up pdf pattern which is for a super simple lace sock.

The method of sock knitting on a circular is a little more complicated but not as hard as it sounds, if you google 'magic loop knitting', you'll get the general idea.

NoblesseOblige Sun 07-Sep-08 17:20:42

have bought the regia kit mentioned on this thread but am having awful trouble with it - i end up with a normal straight row of knitting rather than a sock type thing.

whaddami doing wrong?

<<stampangryhuff>>

DutchOma Sun 07-Sep-08 17:31:47

Had a quick look at the kit and it mentions that it includes double pointed needles. That probably means you need to cast on the required number of stitches, divide them over three needles, say 51 sts - then you do 18 on the first needle, 17 on the second and 16 on the third and knit the first stitch of the first needle onto the 3rd needle so you have 17 on each. Then you use the fourth needle to knit with. There are sock patterns where you just knit on two needles, not double pointeds and then you sew them up later.

NoblesseOblige Sun 07-Sep-08 17:42:04

i am DOING that! but it still ends up in a straight line (not shouting btw blush)!

would it be easier with those circle type needle things? hmm

HensMum Sun 07-Sep-08 20:02:02

Have a looky here:
www.knitty.com/issuesummer03/FEATtheresa.html
There are pics and everything. This is one of those things that is way easier to show someone than explain, but you need the three needles to form a triangle. You bring the yarn from where you've just cast on the last stitch and use it to knit the first stitch you cast on.

I use 1 long circular for socks (the "Magic Loop" method). You can also use 2 circs, or even one teeny one but I still reckon that DPNs are best to learn on. Easy once you get the hang of it, I promise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now