Talk

Advanced search

HELP! How do I machine velcro on to a cotton shirt?

(3 Posts)
Word Thu 21-Aug-08 14:19:15

Because I've tried and cried (snipped my finger in the process) and am getting nowhere.

Should I use a special needle? I've tried an ordinary one (not sure what size) and a blue-tipped one. The thread just gathers underneath.

lucykate Thu 21-Aug-08 19:55:36

it sounds to me like the velcro is not moving when it's underneath the foot, which is why it's all gathering. check your machine and see if the foot pressure has different settings, and try it both looser and tighter. you will also need a heavy weight needle, either a 90/14, or even a 100/16. failing that, what about wonder webbing it?

also, double check your bobbin and thread tension, that is the biggest cause of problems for me with my machine (ds fiddling with the dials)

Word Fri 22-Aug-08 08:03:24

Thanks, LK. Yes, a leather needle, and also, ahem, ensuring the thread was threaded through the metal arm which goes up and down(excuse lack of technical terms) seemed to do the trick. A five-minute job easily turned into a half-hour one!

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now