Talk

Advanced search

Clever, arty, thinking out of the box type people!! Step this way, I would appreciate your help!

(16 Posts)
MaureenMLove Wed 20-Aug-08 08:40:48

I need to cover some foam to make cushions for DH's boat. I figured that since they are going to be on the deck, they'd need to be waterproof. (This is not a cruiser btw, its a fishing boat!grin)

I've checked out our local fabric/upholter shop and the vinyl they sell there is £20 per metreshock I need 4 metres!

So, alternatives needed. Any ideas, anyone? I'm thinking along the lines of PVC table clothes or even faux-leather jacket from a charity shop! What d'ya think?

superjo Wed 20-Aug-08 09:29:29

What about those plastic Tarpaulains that you get from the junky shops or car accessory shops. You would have to put some sort of silicone sealant around the seams, but the better quality ones should stand up to a fair amount of use. They are also used as paint dropsheets sometimes.

harpomarx Wed 20-Aug-08 09:31:57

have you tried looking for offcuts? I got a decent sized piece of spotty vinyl like this, used it for a tablecloth - would have got two or three cushion covers out of it I should think. It cost about £1.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 20-Aug-08 09:32:45

Ikea have loads of good fabric, really cheap too.

RubyRioja Wed 20-Aug-08 09:33:07

How about pound shop shower curtains as a temp measure - will also give you an accurate template before using good stuff. And might do the job anyway?

MaureenMLove Wed 20-Aug-08 09:44:15

Marvellous, bloody marvellous! grin

Thankyou all of you! Any of the options are good and I'm off to investigate!

fizzbuzz Wed 20-Aug-08 10:09:20

Don't forget to seal the seams....stitching them won't make them waterproof (or glue them)

MaureenMLove Wed 20-Aug-08 10:18:25

Yes, I need heavy duty glue of some description and I think I'll run a line of silicone around the seams, once they're done.

stealthsquiggle Wed 20-Aug-08 15:43:26

How's it going, Mo?

TBH, I might be tempted by an 'easy to dry' option as waterproof is hard - or wrap foam in pound shop shower curtain and glue/tape it, and then make a cheap fabric cover to make it more appealing / comfortable?

MaureenMLove Wed 20-Aug-08 18:18:49

<sigh> I tried a shower curtain, but its too flimsy to work with tbh. I've looked for those outdoor table cloths, but I've only found one that's big enough for one and its £25!shock Too much, for a novice like me to screw up! I think he may be resorting to Option B, which is two faux leather cushion, just for the maiden voyage, at least! Its just for the outside seats, which he reckons may be a bit uncomfortable if he's sitting there fishing all day! The cabin ones are fine. After several washes, they look and smell like new.

I might come up with a plan at 2am, I usually do! For now though, I should concentrate on the fact that we are going away tomorrow pm and I haven't finished the washing yet!grin

cluelessnchaos Wed 20-Aug-08 18:20:55

In the shop where I work you can get oilcloth for about £12/£13 a square metre

RubyRioja Wed 20-Aug-08 18:20:56

Another idea - I have a folding seat pad from Twickenham - obv rugby types are softies. Made of some kind of dense synthetic sponge. Waterproof and provides insulation and padding.

Might that protect Dh's butt?

Tillyboo Wed 20-Aug-08 19:05:06

If you have a Dunhelm Mill near you, their oilcloth is soooooo much cheaper than other places, and I mean it's cheap. I use it for my kitchen table as my dd uses it for her arts and crafts.

Nbg Wed 20-Aug-08 19:08:16

I second oilcloth.
Theres a guy who has a stall on our local market and sells the stuff for about £3.99 a metre.

stealthsquiggle Wed 20-Aug-08 19:27:58

oooh yes 2 ideas there - Dunhelm Mill oilcloth, or dense, neoprene-like foam like garden kneelers instead.

MaureenMLove Wed 20-Aug-08 19:53:59

Thankyou lovely ladies. I've been given a small reprive too. we're not going til Friday morning now, so if I get my sh*t together tonight, I can go on a mission tomorrow. Tomorrow, just happens to be market day too! I'll let you know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now