Talk

Advanced search

Calling all cake-decorating demons! Need help icing a ball

(6 Posts)
BEAUTlFUL Thu 14-Aug-08 16:00:50

Hello, I'm not bad at icing cakes, but I'm a bit stuck.

I need to decorate a cake so it looks like half a globe. So I've baked a Pyrex bowl of sponge, which is fine, but now how do I cover it in icing?

I bought a lump of blue ready-rolled icing, but if I drape that over the top, it'll have wavy pleats going down the sides, where it's draped, won't it? And if I cut those off and stick the edges together, will that look shite? How will I cover the joins?

Would I be better off just icing it with normal (icing sugar + water) icing? Won't that just run down the edges though?

Any help greatly appreciated! I'm icing it tonight.

Thanks xx

BEAUTlFUL Thu 14-Aug-08 16:02:24

Should I put this in the food thread too? Dunno where the cake-decorators hang out!

hotcrossbunny Thu 14-Aug-08 16:18:56

I'd probably use the ready to roll stuff, and then hide the joins under bits of 'land' IYSWIM.

BEAUTlFUL Thu 14-Aug-08 16:21:00

ll! i like your thinking!

becklespeckle Thu 14-Aug-08 16:23:49

If you are gentle with the ready-roll icing then you should be able to cover the half-globe without pleats. Sort of drape it over the top and then encourage it to follow the shape of the cake using your hands around the base and then smooth it all over afterwards.

Sorry but don't know how to explain it better than that! Good luck though!

LippyGobshite Thu 14-Aug-08 16:25:20

Use the ready to roll but mould it over the base of the pyrex bowl you used for the sponge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now