Talk

Advanced search

Please translate knitting pattern - I'm hopeless

(9 Posts)
BooBooFlip Mon 11-Aug-08 19:01:24

WTF does "Inc K wise into every st - 20 sts" actually mean??

I'm desperate to knit the cutest little Jean Greenhowe Rainbow Baby ... I'm only on line 2 of the pattern and I'm stuck!

Please help!

soremummy Mon 11-Aug-08 19:04:23

increase knit wise in evry stitch i.e. knit twice into every stitch im no good at explaining... Dutchoma or someone would be good let me try get a link

solo Mon 11-Aug-08 19:05:28

When you increase into the knitting(stitches on the needle), you do it as if making a knit stitch as opposed to a purl stitch.
put needle in, wind wool as if making a knit st, then instead of dropping the stitch off the needle, twist it round and do it again into the same stitch before slipping off as normal. do this for a total of 20 stiches. HTH.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 11-Aug-08 19:08:02

Are you currently knitting something with 10 stiches at the moment?

Inc K Wise means that each stitch you are now going to make it into two. So you put the needle in the stitch and wrap the wool round as if you are making a KNIT stitch. (oh gawd have no knitting on teh go at the mo, am having to shut my eyes and do the motions grin)
Then instead of slipping the stitch off the left hand needle to leave the new row stitch on the right hand needle
You leave the old stitch on the left needle, take the point of the right needle over the old stitch and round to the side away from you, and insert it into the old stitch again, at an angle almost pointing in to you. Then make a stitch as normal.

Now slip the old stitch off the left hand needle and you have TWO knit stitches on the right hand needle.

Does this help? I suspect not blush really hard to describe knitting stitches with no pictures!

Oh and then if you do this into each of the 10 stitches you will now have 20 stitches.

solo Mon 11-Aug-08 19:09:37

Excellent Flibberty!

soremummy Mon 11-Aug-08 19:13:40

this might help you, they do video tutorials on some things i think.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 11-Aug-08 19:27:55

Boobooflip, are you an experienced knitter? I just googled the pattern for these little dolls. I've been knitting 40 years (YES I STARTED YOUNG!!) and these dolls look like a very fiddly pattern to do.
I took one look and thought no thanks.

If you are inexperienced it might be a bit ambitious project.

BooBooFlip Mon 11-Aug-08 19:50:45

Thanks for all your help - I wasn't expecting so much help, so quickly!

Flibbertyjibbet, I think you're right and that I may have been a little over-ambitious! blush I was blinded by the sheer cute-ness of the dolls ...

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 12-Aug-08 14:21:24

I get patterns from the library - my local one usually has a good selection of knitting books, quite a few debbie bliss. You are allowed to take a copy of part of a library book as long as its for your own personal use, (there is a photocopier in our library and I checked before copying). Why don't you go and have a browse? Debbie bliss baby stuff is usually reasonably straightforward to knit.
I remember my grandma knitting a golliwog (shock but it was 1970) for my sister - she'd been knitting 70 years and complained that dolls and toys generally are fiddly to do.
So maybe a few easy garments, hats etc then try again with the doll?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now