Talk

Advanced search

any tips, we are going to have to make wall hangings to use as curtains

(9 Posts)
bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 11-Aug-08 13:27:04

New playgroup, going to be in cold church,
to enclose the space we have asked for curtains but the cost would be over £1000 to have them made properly.
so as a temporary measure we are going to make patchwork hangings
I have been trying to look for basic patterns but they all look very complicated.
we have been donated offcuts of curtain material from our local curtain makers so it is thick quality material. I just don't want it to look like a botch job iykwim. smile

Any ideas??

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 11-Aug-08 13:32:40

smile bump

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 11-Aug-08 13:51:37

smile

SoupDragon Mon 11-Aug-08 13:51:55

Just do squares of fabric rather than a pattern?

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 11-Aug-08 13:53:07

soupD do you think that will look a bit botchy?

if we did that should we try to do some applique on top?

SoupDragon Mon 11-Aug-08 14:02:35

Don't know I think it depends how much of each offcut you have - if they're small offcuts you'll struggle to make a pattern I would have thought.

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 11-Aug-08 14:05:53

they are about 1 meter by 60-70cms (ish) some a little smaller.

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 11-Aug-08 16:27:08

smile

saltnshake Mon 11-Aug-08 22:07:56

I would buy cheap old wool blankets from charity shop and sandwich with white sheets so that you have the warmth of the blanket in the middle. Get fabric paint and decorate the cloth - kids hand prints - outlines of them etc, then use the colourful cloth to sew on basic shapes like circles and simple houses or make a patchwork border. It would look a bit nuts but it is a playgroup so I think you can get away with quite a lot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now