Talk

Advanced search

can anyone recommend a good value sewing machine for a novice?

(7 Posts)
Slouchy Wed 06-Aug-08 13:13:57

Just had a go with my mum's ancient Jones machine (bought c 1969) which still just about works. I'd like to invest in a lighter, more user-friendly machine but

I don't want to pay too much
It needs to be piece of cake to operate
I will be mostly using it for bits of basic dressmaking, nothing too complex/fancy
TIA

Slouchy Wed 06-Aug-08 18:25:01

bump

BettySpaghetti Wed 06-Aug-08 18:29:37

Hi there Slouchy. smile

I have a very basic Singer one -it does one type of stitch and goes forwards and backwards. Thats it.Do you mean that basic?

Its a very old Singer one that my Mum bought for me years ago as a serviced/reconditioned one from a sewing machine repairs bloke so it might be looking in your Yellow Pages to see if theres anyone in your area that repairs and sells machines.

A friend of mine bought one from Lidl recently for around £50-70 I think -it does a few fancy stitches too.

Slouchy Wed 06-Aug-08 18:56:00

Hiya - yes that basic; no buttonholes or anything (Zigzag might be good)

Ooh LIdl?will check it out

melpomene Wed 06-Aug-08 19:02:14

There was an article in the Family section of the Saturday Guardian a few weeks ago about basic sewing machines. It's probably online somewhere but I can't find it because I can't remember the columnist's name. She has an Italian name, something like Anna Barbarella. Maybe someone will be along who remembers and can find the article?

melpomene Wed 06-Aug-08 19:05:49

Just had one more attempt and I managed to find it: here. The article covers machines for children but she recommends a couple of simple full-size machines.

DartmoorMama Wed 06-Aug-08 19:09:42

I think machines that have bobbins that load from the top and lie flat are less problematic than front loading bobbins which are a bit fiddly. You end up trying to the tip machine back to get it in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now