Talk

Advanced search

NOT SURE WHAT TO SAY REALLY!

(33 Posts)
loopyredangel Tue 05-Aug-08 23:19:54

Message withdrawn

LackaDAISYcal Tue 05-Aug-08 23:24:01

try not to stress about it too much smile. There will always be someone who doesn't like what you are doing, be it the art or the means of promoting that art. It doesn't mean that what you have done is wrong or bad; it's just one persons opinion.

loopyredangel Tue 05-Aug-08 23:26:49

Cheers Daisy

wrinklytum Tue 05-Aug-08 23:27:49

Ignore them!Can you link and I am sure there will be lots of praise Art is a very subjective hing.I am hopeless and admire anyone creative,its a real gift!!Don't get too down about 1 critic

wrinklytum Tue 05-Aug-08 23:28:29

hing? I mean thing!

loopyredangel Tue 05-Aug-08 23:28:42

this is what was said By SNoraWotzThat on Tue 05-Aug-08 17:53:50
loopyredangel
Kick me if you want to. I love your work and have been on Mn a while and when I saw your link to your site I was excited. But, I hate it. I hate the black and chunky words, for me it doesn't work with your products. As I say kick me if you want to, just wanted to be honest as I love your work

sorry

sorry

i am going now, sorry

www.carrottopart.com

wrinklytum Tue 05-Aug-08 23:33:41

Oh,well I'm sure she wasn't meaning to be totally horrid,she did apologise,and she LOVED your artwork,surely that's what is important!!Maybe a little rejig re the webpage design if it has really upset you?I think it should be seen as constructive criticism,it was n't like she said "Your work is shite" or something

LackaDAISYcal Tue 05-Aug-08 23:40:28

just chased down the threads and she goes on to give you some constructive criticism regarding colours as well.

I've had a look at your site and it is a bit scary on the colours front, and as snorawotzthat says, it does seem to be very different from the artwork that you actually produce; so maybe she has a wee point?

Your work is pretty amazing though smile. I love the tree at the bottom of the stairs and the murals are lovely.

loopyredangel Tue 05-Aug-08 23:46:41

maybe just being a bit oversensitive, I am quite poorly hence the late night, got a bad chest infection and can't sleep, damn - I have bought my business cards now with the logo and colour scheme on it.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 05-Aug-08 23:50:42

I think the logo itself is great; more so if it is who you are, so don't worry about the business cards. I'm sure there are things you can do with the site to tame the colours down a bit. I'm no expert in these things though and I imagine that a lot of your business comes to you by word of mouth and recommendations.

Good Luck with it all; having a talent that you can make a decent earning from is something I've always yearned to have and am immensely envy of.

get some sleep and reevaulate in the morning.....and get yourself well before making any rash decisions smile

wrinklytum Tue 05-Aug-08 23:51:10

I love the dolphins and whales!

If you are unhappy re web design I am sure it is rectifiable (Is that a word??)

Hope you are better soon

SNoraWotzThat Tue 05-Aug-08 23:53:38

As I say please don't take it personally I am not a web critic. Sometimes it is hard if you do your own creative work to do your own web graphic/web work. It is all very subjective.

I have given my views, which I know you did not ask for, but hopefully some good will come out of it.

Didi you like the website I linked to on the other thread? You can see how they have used a very ink like (black) logo top right and it works so well.

SNoraWotzThat Tue 05-Aug-08 23:59:38

Without the black edges already 50% better IMHO

SNoraWotzThat Wed 06-Aug-08 00:00:22

OK 100% better

loopyredangel Wed 06-Aug-08 00:00:23

Hiya snora, sorry didn't want to cause upset just wanted more feedback I guess. I have removed the harsh black borders now what do you think, I think it's still a little harsh, I loved the link you showed me, just thought it may have been a bit busy and detract from my work, if I went for something so bold.

SNoraWotzThat Wed 06-Aug-08 00:00:59

can we kiss and make up now?

loopyredangel Wed 06-Aug-08 00:02:52

thanks snora, will work on the rest in the morning, I must admit I do love all the funky swirly designs out there at the moment, but just wanted to be a bit different as a lot of companies seem to be doing alot of the same. Will have a play and see what I can do tomorrow. I am so glad you mentioned it now snora, or it would have just stayed the same...THANKYOU

SNoraWotzThat Wed 06-Aug-08 00:04:28

smile goodnight

loopyredangel Wed 06-Aug-08 00:04:33

blowing kisses to you xxx sorry for getting so defensive its easily done especially when your ill too lol hope you won't mind me hassling you now, will be asking for your input all the way now, you could be my CREATIVE WEBSITE CONSULTANT

LackaDAISYcal Wed 06-Aug-08 00:11:49

<dodges kisses>

It looks a lot more user friendly already loopy. the different fonts are a bit confusing though. the orange writing under the header (coming soon etc) is great, but the "funky stuff" down the side makes my eyes hurt.....but I fully accept that that is probably just my over-tired be-hayfevered peepers that are at fault.

How far do you travel? maybe add some info on areas covered, as living in Leeds I might think £25 for a consultation a bargain, but unless I gave you an order, you'd definately be out of pocket after travelling costs!

loopyredangel Wed 06-Aug-08 08:35:44

Have done map of where I cover just haven't got around to putting it on yet, it's on my list to do this morning, to be honest I forgot to put it on so thanks for the reminder

lucykate Wed 06-Aug-08 12:02:04

i wouldn't worry about it, important thing is that you like it and it works for you as a marketing tool. if you still have doubts, do lots of research (you've probably already done this!), lots of searches for other sites with similar content to yours, find sites you like the look of and compare to yours.

also, a website should evolve as time goes one, no reason why not to leave it as it is for now, see how well it goes for a couple of months, then look at updating layout, images etc.

it's good to get other peoples opinions but (no offence to other mnetters), it may be more helpful to ask others who are also in the creative field, and who have also built their own web sites. try the craft forum

SNoraWotzThat Wed 06-Aug-08 12:34:15

I have a creative background (some 20 years) have built commercial websites and have a graphic design and web background working in the field of advertising and marketing.

I do go on the craft forum, and also venture outside, so my comments may still have been forthcoming under another topic such as "arts and crafts" or "AIBU". The post was in freelancers/self employed, which I was looking at so came over the op post.

I guess if you all are regs on the craft forum, you might not say what you really think to other regs, as it may cause uupset or disharmony and that was not my intention.

I should be more miffed that another thread was started about me here!

lucykate Wed 06-Aug-08 12:52:35

hi snora - my comments weren't aimed at you (hope you didn't think that), i was talking in general smile, wasn't aware of the full background to this debate.

actually, with your experience, you sound useful to know <<makes note for future reference when doing my own web site>> grin

i'd be interested to know what you thought of my blog layout if you have time to take a peek (it's linked to on the freelance thread)

SNoraWotzThat Wed 06-Aug-08 12:52:57

FWIW just had another look today (last few minutes) and you have removed the black heading and the black side strips and replaced your logo onto the olive green colour which looks so much nicer. So .....

before anymore MNersd of messages of me slating it, please note loopy has changed it since this began yesterday.

I am still miffed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now