Talk

Advanced search

Painting wood - does it have to be acrylic paint?

(7 Posts)
Sprogstersmum Tue 05-Aug-08 20:10:12

Want to order some little wooden items from Baker Ross for DD to decorate but they all say decorate with acrylic paint which is at least £10 and more than I wanted to spend. Does it have to be acrylic paint or would something else work and if so, what? DD only 3 so not going to be major works of art but she does love painting objects. Thanks!

littone Tue 05-Aug-08 21:31:17

I am sure there are some artists on here who will know - but looked up acrylic paint and it said it was waterproof when dry. I have used acrylic paint for salt dough and it dries as a nice strong colour so maybe these are the reasons why. Depending on how much money you spent on the wooden items, could you sacrifice one and try poster paint (or whatever DD usually paints with). Would probably need to varnish to stop paint rubbing off??

loopyredangel Tue 05-Aug-08 23:32:44

Pick up the cheapest acrylic you can find, or borrow some from a friend, beware if you don't already know acrylic paint does not come off easily (sofas, curtains, cushions etc). I use it on wooden items, plus you could get creative with it too

loopyredangel Tue 05-Aug-08 23:32:44

Pick up the cheapest acrylic you can find, or borrow some from a friend, beware if you don't already know acrylic paint does not come off easily (sofas, curtains, cushions etc). I use it on wooden items, plus you could get creative with it too

loopyredangel Tue 05-Aug-08 23:33:27

also shop around, you might get things including wooden shapes cheaper on ebay

Smithagain Sat 09-Aug-08 19:56:10

Can you get to a craft shop? You can get very small bottles of acrylic paint much cheaper than the big bottles on Baker Ross. So could just get three or four colours which would be ample for painting a few small wooden items.

It will give a much sharper and more durable effect than poster paint, which I think might bleed into the wood.

gillybean2 Sun 10-Aug-08 14:38:36

You have to order a lot from baker ross to get free delivery. Maybe look at yellowmoon which is the same company but doesn't have as much of the range as it's the 'fund raising' branch of the company. You can order a smaller value to get free delivery. So you'd save the £4 or whatever it is and put that saving towards the cost of the paints perhaps.

I have the acrylic paints and they really are good value I feel. They last ages, give a really good effect and when I've looked at similar products elsewhere they're very good value imo.

You can try poster paints instead, but I don't think you'd get them any cheaper in reality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now