Talk

Advanced search

knitters, advice please, do i need to unravel all of this, or is there another way?

(22 Posts)
stitch Wed 30-Jul-08 17:43:21

i did the back of the waistcoat type jumper. now almost finished teh front left side.
there is a border at the bottom of both. on th eback i have knitted 26 rows. but on the front i have only knitted 23 rows blush then there is cabling going all the way up. on the back, there appear to be twelve cabling bbits, ten rows apart. on the front, their are already twelve, but the pattern says to do a furthe 13 rows. and yet the front already seems tobe longer than the back. bearing in mind the fewer rows on the hem at the front.
what do i do? if i lay it out on the table, it seems that as long as i dont knit the remaining 13 rows, it is about the same size. but when i hold it in my hands, the front seems to be shorter, when measured holding from where the armhole cast offs are. do i just pull it and hope? or do i knit and add on a bit to the front? or do i take the entire front bit apart, and knit again?
help please. blush

stitch Wed 30-Jul-08 17:51:38

this is the pattern

DutchOma Wed 30-Jul-08 18:56:18

Never put up with mistakes, however hard it is. Unravel it as far as the ribbing, do your extra 3 rows and take it from there. Otherwise you will have to repeat your mistakes on the other front and you will always know it is not right.

Your front and your back must have the same amount of rows

stitch Wed 30-Jul-08 19:09:12

sad and horriffied.
i thought you would say that.

i will now have to unravel three days worth of work. sad and there i was thinking i might be able to give tit o her next week?.. sad at least it is so hot, she doesnt need t i yet.

DutchOma Wed 30-Jul-08 22:18:54

It won't take you three days to get it back in again, because you have already done most of the ribbing. And at least you will know that it is right, what's the point of makign something that is full of mistakes?

stitch Thu 31-Jul-08 09:26:43

i know oma, its just the thoughth that is worse than the deed.
i have started doing the right side now. once that is finished, i sheall go back to the left.
thank youfor your advice. it may not sound it, but i do appreciate it.

i am actually a bit concerned now that i may have made mistakes in the back. blush

stitch Thu 31-Jul-08 09:29:36

for example, i know i did an extra twwo rows before casting off for shoulders, but i wrote that down, so took it into account when doing the front.
i hope i havent made any other mistakes such as decreasing on an eight row rather than a sixth. i guess, as long as the number of rows match up, then it should be ok?
i know my tension is fairly even,

aarrghhh, must stop taking abou tit. or i will give up.

BellaBear Thu 31-Jul-08 09:32:07

oh dear! If you don't undo it, you will notice the mistakes EVERY time you look at it. Also, you will have to fudge it when you sew it up and some bits might end up stretched or puckered and it will niggle like crazy.

(Next time, knit all parts on a long circlar up to the armpits - no sewing up!)(Have just bought Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Wihout Tears and I am a convert to circulars!)

stitch Thu 31-Jul-08 09:39:58

i love circular. did a hat with it once. was wonderful
but this is a cardigan for mom. so no way to do on circular. sad
i hwill unravel it. just not today. [smile

BellaBear Thu 31-Jul-08 10:18:21

you can get long circulars - 100 cm!

Good luck with it, I do know EXACTLY how you feel.

solo Fri 01-Aug-08 00:48:53

Stitch, I may be wrong, but looking at the pattern picture, there seem to be 12 and a half cables visible. It also looks like the front goes over the shoulder which is sometimes because the back is straighter at the shoulders than the front. How many rows make a single cable?
Also, if you are confident enough, instead of pulling the whole front apart just to add a few rows to the ribbing, snip out the ribbing and knit it again but down instead of up. It can be done.

blithedance Fri 01-Aug-08 23:17:02

We are not talking knitting round and round - circular needles can be used to knit back and forth, but accommodate many more stitches than straight needles.

I hardly ever knit on straight needles now.

stitch Sat 02-Aug-08 17:41:10

solo, thats what i thought too. i was wondering if the front went over the back as well.
i have started unraveling the front, definitly not confident enough to snip and then knit it up. wish i was blush
there are ten rows to the pattern. ie, cable on the fifth, then up again till ten, then 1 to ten again .

solo Mon 04-Aug-08 20:21:01

Stitch, if you are unpicking it, you ought to give it a go anyway...If it doesn't work, then unpick it all...good luck!

DutchOma Tue 05-Aug-08 09:01:38

Never works... even for me and I have a bit of experience cause I tried it. Just unpick it and be done with it, quickest all round and the most satisfying.

solo Tue 05-Aug-08 10:21:48

It used to be my trade and it can be done.

DutchOma Tue 05-Aug-08 17:31:52

I'm sure it can be done, I just find that it takes longer to try that sort of thing than to simply undo it. And in this case I feel it would be harder to try to unpick and insert three extra rows than to unpick and have done with it.

DutchOma Tue 05-Aug-08 17:32:21

Curious question, what was your trade?

solo Tue 05-Aug-08 18:56:47

I ran a big knitting yarn department...was a very long time ago now though...

DutchOma Wed 06-Aug-08 09:26:07

Still exciting, though.

solo Fri 08-Aug-08 11:22:33

Dutch, I loved it! It was my world. Department was closed down eventually and I had to change departments and then I changed my job completely.
I've always been into arts and crafts and enjoy 'creating' something from nothing. Very satisfying. grin

solo Fri 08-Aug-08 11:26:23

Goodness! I've just had a tot up and it's now 21/22 years since my joyful job ended
I was trying to get the bank manager to lend me the money to open my own woolshop, but he wouldn't. Mind you, after I split with exh#1, I was quite glad as I'd have lost half of it to him.angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now