Talk

Advanced search

What next?

(8 Posts)
Bridie3 Thu 17-Jul-08 16:07:23

I have just started making my own clothes again in an attempt to save £££. I made a very simple black linen skirt with a flounce, which has worked well and cost about £24 (the linen was expensive but very good quality and I had to buy various other bits and pieces), as compared with about £45 or £50 for anything similar I've seen in the shops.

So what next? Little linen top to go with it? WOuld a dress be too difficult for a newbie?

Verridian Thu 17-Jul-08 21:23:53

Have you made much in the past? I've only made a couple of things but from what I can see from limited experience is that trousers are the worst. If you work from a pattern and don't decide to go AWOL and do what you think is the best way(like I do!) then you should be fine. Good luck!

Bridie3 Thu 17-Jul-08 22:42:05

Trousers look scary--you're right!

I think perhaps a little linen top might be a good next step.

DutchOma Fri 18-Jul-08 08:51:40

Trousers are no more difficult than anything else, but no need a pattern that you can adjust. I have a McCalls pattern 2315 which I have made several times and it is really easy.
If you want to do a top choose one without sleeves or collar for the first time and build up from there.

Bridie3 Fri 18-Jul-08 09:33:23

Thanks, DutchOma. I'll look out for that pattern when I go shopping.

DutchOma Fri 18-Jul-08 11:31:26

Actually I have just googled it and it doesn't tally at all. Maybe you could look out for a more up to date pattern when you go shopping. The thing to look out for is a 'pattern made for you' with a 'flat, average or full derriere' Don't you think that is such a much prettier word than 'bum'?

Bridie3 Fri 18-Jul-08 12:08:45

Derriere sounds like something you might almost be proud of!

DutchOma Fri 18-Jul-08 13:05:03

Whereas 'bum' doesn't, you are right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now