Talk

Advanced search

have a fab dress need to put an extra two inches in on bust any one know how ??????

(17 Posts)
whoopsididitagain Sun 13-Jul-08 20:41:47

bought a dress from primarni empire style with side zip need an extra inch for my norks as otherwise it fits perfectly have lot of excess fabric i can use which matches so can anyone give me a step by step please

tia xx

DrNortherner Sun 13-Jul-08 20:42:17

chicken fillets

SecretWife Sun 13-Jul-08 20:43:28

she means to put an extra inch in so her norks FIT or it is too tight... not to add an inch to her norks grin

DrNortherner Sun 13-Jul-08 20:44:21

Oh, I see. Sory grin

whoopsididitagain Sun 13-Jul-08 21:33:33

lol at fillets my nipples are bigger than most fillets lol

i couldnt even get them in the 18 which looked horrid one

i hope someone can help me

but ty for your suggestions so far lol grin

vInTaGeVioLeT Sun 13-Jul-08 21:43:17

i don't know how to do this but totally sympathise with your large "norkage" i have the same problem and find dresses a nightmare especially as they are always too big on the back if they fit on the front IYSWIM.

whoopsididitagain Sun 13-Jul-08 21:59:08

vv i know what you mean but im determined coz if i can crack this it means i can shop cheap and have tailored clothes
mwah mwah mwah

i'm so sad i know hmm

Jackstini Sun 13-Jul-08 22:00:11

minimiser bra?

womblingalong Sun 13-Jul-08 22:02:13

this can be quite difficult, depends where you need the extra inch, and how the dress is constructed, and you will probably be able to see the alteration, unless you an make it a design feature IYKWIM

Miaou Sun 13-Jul-08 22:02:48

Can you put a dart in under the arm?

Miaou Sun 13-Jul-08 22:04:27

Ah no thinking about it, the dart would need to be across the bust - difficult to do without being very noticable.

Miaou Sun 13-Jul-08 22:08:57

If you look here, it shows you how you would alter a pattern to make it fit a larger bust - pretty difficult to do to a finished dress.

Tbh, I would take the dress back, get the one that fits you round the bust, then alter the rest of the dress. A bit faff, but more achievable! Much easier to go smaller than bigger.

KatyMac Sun 13-Jul-08 22:12:36

Down sizing the rest of the dress is much easier tbh - sorry

gigglewitch Sun 13-Jul-08 22:16:38

agree that it would be so much easier to get a larger size, and make it beautifully tailored.
Any attempt to make something bigger round the bust would be more likely to make a nice dress look not-so-nice; whereas taking something in would be easy and it looks like plenty of us can make suggestions wink

gigglewitch Sun 13-Jul-08 22:19:28

BTW, if you are going to swap to get the bigger size, then just for now make use of the one you've got at the mo, and measure anywhere that you think will be useful and where it fits perfectly - under bust, length, distance between straps or length of straps or whatever. that would make your tailoring job easier as you have a set of measurements to go with grin

whoopsididitagain Sun 13-Jul-08 22:42:09

ok will head back to primarni and hope against hope they will have the same dress in a week later hmmm

i didnt fancy tak8ing it in because fron the under the bust seam it is a very sjp frill upon frill dress but was so lush i couldnt walk away

[whoops steadies herself for primarni scrap tomorrow]

babyelephant Sun 13-Jul-08 22:55:58

Agree you need bigger size to take in not other way round.

Tis so annoying when this happens!

Any alteration to increase would look v obvious even if it was done nicely.

Can definately recommend the minimiser bras from M&S though. Get the right fit and they are surprisingly comfortable too. For the days when you just don't want to be a walking pair of boobs grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now