Talk

Advanced search

What sort of paint do I need to paint on re-usable shopping bags?

(13 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 13-Jul-08 18:57:52

I have found a source of re-usable shopping bag (like Tescos ladybird bags) but with no logo on

I am intending upon painting my logo/phone number on some to advertise my business

So what paint do I use?

Do I need to 'fix' it in some way to stop it running in the rain?

Scootergrrrl Sun 13-Jul-08 18:59:17

Fabric paint should do the job. They sell those bags in all the supermarkets here in Germany for about 30 cents - hope you're not paying a fortune for them!

SoupDragon Sun 13-Jul-08 19:00:28

Can't you do it with t-shirt transfer paper and your computer printer? Are they that rough jute stuff like the tescos bag? it might not work on that.

KatyMac Sun 13-Jul-08 19:09:50

Yep they are jute (if that's what Tescos are)

About £1

KatyMac Wed 16-Jul-08 19:56:42

I don't think the transfer paper will work

Any other ideas?

fizzbuzz Wed 16-Jul-08 20:20:03

What colour are they? Am not sure fabric paint would work as it is quite difficult to get straight edeges on smooth fabric never mind slubby fabric.

Screen printing, or block printing would be best option imo

KatyMac Wed 16-Jul-08 20:36:23

Beige/brown - just like Tescos bags

I'm not sure I can screen print

fizzbuzz Wed 16-Jul-08 21:23:48

Can you block print? Also remember the background colour will affect any colour you put on top of it, I think fabric painting only works proprly if done on a really light ground, and you would have to do each one individually, whereas screen printing you can do them all the same and quite fast ( I would only stick to one colour though)

I think computr transfer is your best bet tbh, for a professional finish

KatyMac Wed 16-Jul-08 21:32:47

I might be able to

I remember lining them up to get all the colours straight is hard - I need at least 2 colours

WarmFuzzy Wed 16-Jul-08 21:37:33

This acrylic paint from Baker Ross refuses to wash out of ANYTHING - clothes, palettes wooden thingies painted ny small boys and left out in the rain... I think it would work quite well on bags.

fizzbuzz Wed 16-Jul-08 21:56:32

Oh yes much more of a pain if printing more than one colour.

Transfer ink/crayon might work. Or dyesticks

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 17-Jul-08 20:32:25

how about slick writers - dylon do a range too - they are a 3d liquid paint a bit like writing icing would be a good way to describe it!! You don't need to fix it either so a lot less faffing about - but you will need to practice first it takes a while to get the hang of it.

gillybean2 Thu 17-Jul-08 21:26:25

Acrylic paint from baker ross or yellowmoon.org They also do acyrilic pens if you want to have more control and write in the.

Or you could cut out fabric pieces and sew/glue them on maybe? Maybe make a lighter panel with your printed/fabric pen stuff on and then machine/glue/fasten them on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now