Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone learn to paint/draw

(8 Posts)

I still paint and draw like a 5yo - seriously badly. I would love to be able to paint and am considering art classes. Do you think people can be taught to paint or do you have to be naturally artistic? Will everyone else in the class snigger at me blush

meridian Fri 11-Jul-08 13:59:22

i think everyone does things diffrently.. you can learn alot from art classes... you can learn to use colour, technique etc... everyone has diffrent abilities and a diffrent view of the world. diffrent self expression. I think you would have fun taking art classes, I know I did long ago.

you can look at my illustrations on my blog i may not be the best but I have fun with all my artistic endeavours and to me that bit of fun is the most important thing about art.

smile

Your illustrations are really good. Will take the plunge and book into some classes. Thanks.

cornsilk Sat 12-Jul-08 10:59:44

meridian your illustrations are fab!

Shitemum Sat 12-Jul-08 11:01:34

I went to drawing classes when i was a teenager. There was a woman in the class whose drawings were like a 5 year olds but they were really wacky and quirky, I thought they were great. It depends whether you want to draw realistic images or just have fun and express yourself. Hope it's the latter smile, enjoy yourself!

Shitemum Sat 12-Jul-08 11:02:37

Also, you may discover that you enjoy using other mediums like clay or fabric to make stuff...

meridian Sat 12-Jul-08 11:55:33

stripey- good for you I hope you have fun in the classes you book.. and thank you for the compliment... smile

cornsilk-- thank you muchly! smile ... I can't really do photo realistic and i'm hopeless on the tech side of illustration but its something I do to keep being creative and something to do that is other than being a mum and avoiding doing the housework.

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 12-Jul-08 14:48:55

I'd recommend life drawing classes - you really do need to look at form and shape -at art school we wre really lucky to have it as a major part of our curriculum - it really helped my drawing and observational skills grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now