Talk

Advanced search

Getting ready for the summer hols - how can I create an arts/crafts area for the dcs?

(15 Posts)
RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 10:22:23

I have a folding table, (no chairs - bummer) and all the usual, poster paints, acrylic paints, textile paints, pens/pencils and a few kits to paint statues, decorate books and boxes - you know the sort of birthday gift thing.

How might I go about creating an area where they can do some stuff as they please, as well as my more planned projects? Youngest is only 3, so am I unrealistic in thinking I can leave anything accessible?

This accompanies a tv ban in my house, so I want to make it appealing to them.

ANy ideas very welcome, thanks

marmalady Wed 09-Jul-08 10:29:43

old shower curtain or wipe clean messy mat on table.
Aprons/tabards.
Mini chest of drawers from ikea filled with
pens in one drawer, crayons in another, stamps, bits of scrap paper etc
if no chest use old marg tubs /ice cream tubs/kids shoeboxes etc- it's easier to keep the materials separate.

Paints in solid blocks in a tray require only water and brush (minimal effort)

Playdough is a good one to leave them to it.

Glitter will stick to the floor for ages....

Old cbeebies comics - cut out pics and create a collage...........

RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 10:31:20

Oh yes - for the floor!
I am plannign to make them wear old school uniform and then bin it for the first week of hols, so that gives me time to find aprons grin

PestoMonster Wed 09-Jul-08 10:45:55

I don't bother with aprons, I just donate my old discarded t-shirts, which are large enough to cover them up, but leaves their arms unencumbered.

iheartdusty Wed 09-Jul-08 10:52:28

the things which have to be out of reach in our house are paints, glitter & liquid glue.

Dcs can help themselves to pens, scissors, stampers, stickers, stencils, stick glue, paper, sequins, pipe cleaners, etc.

this summer I may introduce a rule that if the lid is not put back on the glue they have to replace it from their pocket money.

another thing you might consider is where they will put stuff to dry - ideally somewhere where a bit of splashed paint won't be a disaster, but it has to be separate from the 'creating' area or there will be war.

especially if older children will want to put something to dry half finished and come back to it.

RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 11:01:26

Hmm. I had previously only banned stickers (as I found them on good furniture and my best handbag angry), am emptying craft cupbaord of safe stuff and will put paint in there, with less damaging stuff accessible.

DH is bringin home stacks of recycled paper - am really excited (saddo I know!)

RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 11:41:14

Where might be cheap to buy plastic containers with lots of little dividers?

Anyone seen any in Wlkinsons?

ranting Wed 09-Jul-08 11:49:11

Not in Wilkinsons but, our local poundstretcher do them, or buy one of those little tool caddy things with the plastic inserts for screws and stuff from homebase or woolies.

For the floor, I just have a large plastic tablecloth, so I can just tip it over the bin and then wipe it down, think I got that from the local market from the fabric stall.

ranting Wed 09-Jul-08 11:57:41

We also have a slightly padded fabric covered wall board, dh stuck a couple of nails in the unpadded bit, for hanging scissors and stuff on and we pin odd bits of fabric and pics that dd likes and thinks she will use for crafting at some point. It's next to her craft table.

RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 12:07:15

ooo I feel some diy coming on!

ranting Wed 09-Jul-08 12:09:30

Oh making one of those padded boards is fabulous, really enjoyed it. Got to go now (work) but I have a tutorial on one of my bookmarks, will post it when I get back.

RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 12:44:09

lovely
have had clear out and have whole box of xmas stuff so sotred that away. Summer hols will be v creative here!

MilaMae Wed 09-Jul-08 21:26:59

Oh I did this last hols it's sooo worth it and I was just as excited!!!!!!. We got 2 of the tall Trofast draw storage things from Ikea, fit really well in the corner of my kitchen. Then got lots of diff size drawers:-

huge(filled with junk eg egg boxes)
huge(A3 paper, rolls of paper etc)
med(playdough stuff)
med(collage:-foam shapes,paper plates, pom poms,glitter sticks etc)
med(paints:-runny,blocks etc)
small(paper)
small(card)
small(stencils)
small(dry wipe stuff)
small(old cards)
small(stickers)
small(activity books)

On the top have got a nice basket filled with comics and loads of those teeny Ikea boxes with the chalks,crayons,beads etc sorted.

I also made them up a toolbox each. They're those cheap poundshop type things that cleaners carry stuff round in except I put in pens,crayons,pencils, scissors, a stapler and cellotape dispenser, ruler,rubber etc. Those are on a shelf in the kitchen black hole cupboard.

It's sooooo much better now everything is to hand and they have 1 each of everything. They know they can do what they like but it has to be in the kitchen. No nagging "can we do this"etc as they can get it themselves. No fighting as they have their own toolbox each.

Re-reading this I do sound a bit sad but in my defense I am an ex-teacher smile

TheMagnificent7 Sat 12-Jul-08 15:01:41

We use the stacking office storage boxes which magically arrive home from work...

Shoe boxes for chalks. Old biscuit tins for pencils and pens.

Great big rolls of wrapping paper cover everything, so the play area can be anywhere. We do stuff in the garden wherever possible.

Tubes from kitchen/toilet rolls, tin foil rolls, etc. are all kept. My eldest (9) just finished a project at school to use Pringle tins to make lighthouses.

And not sure how far your TV ban streteches, but the CBeebies website is the best place on earth for resources. This is their 'make and do' section for all characters. The Mr Maker bit is fantastic and has all of the projects he does.

Remember to keep your plastic bottles and egg cartons.

ranting Sat 19-Jul-08 19:47:25

Sorry for the delay but here is the french memo board tutorial, I promised you RR.blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now