Talk

Advanced search

How to get started with 12 month old?

(16 Posts)
franch Tue 01-Feb-05 12:22:43

Friends' nursery babies seem to have been "making things" and bringing home "paintings" for months - the nearest we've got is DH making a Xmas card for me where he got DD to finger paint on it and it wasn't a great success - she just wanted to eat the paint and got hysterical when he wouldnt let her!

Need IDEAS for:

- how to get started with 'painting' and making things
- SAFE materials - crayons, paints etc? Where do I get them from?

Would love to start making birthday cards for relatives with DD too, however messy and mad - any suggestions for how to do that (without hysteria)?

sassy Tue 01-Feb-05 12:43:59

I would stick with wax crayons (ours are from Ikea- 20 nice chunky ones for a couple of quid!)and A3 sheets paper (less possibility of going all over table/floor). Stickers are good tho can get expensive if thet get keen!
We managed Easter cards last year when dd1 was 18 months. I got her to do hand prints with ELC finger paints in brown and yellow, then cut the brown ones so there was only two fingers and the hand bit left. Stuck these onto card, drew on face and whiskers for bunnies; yellow ones were stuck on sideways, drew beaks and feet to make chicks!
HTH.

franch Tue 01-Feb-05 13:08:20

Very creative, sassy! Don't know if DD is ready for all this yet but I figure it's time to at least give her the opportunity

PicadillyCircus Tue 01-Feb-05 13:11:19

DS does lots of art work at nursery (he's 14 months)....we have tried here but ends up in a mess everywhere and cross and frustrated DS.

For the moment I'm going to be a coward and leave it to nursery

woodpops Tue 01-Feb-05 14:45:06

When mine were little all I did was make cards for whichever occasion. Eg, for Xmas I cut out xmas tree shaped cards and for Easter I do egg shaped cards. I then get bits of paper, feathers etc and let ds and dd just stick it all onto the cards.

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 01-Feb-05 14:50:41

After an incident with a biro and our moleskin footstool, we have purchased the ELC's version of the etch a sketch. It says that it's for 3yr plus but I think it's just because there's little stamps in them.

franch Tue 01-Feb-05 15:06:23

How old is your little one, NBG?

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 01-Feb-05 15:08:28

She's nearly 16 months.
We painted at playgroup today and came home with a picture! I'm so proud. It's got the prime place on the fridge!

franch Tue 01-Feb-05 15:09:39

Aw Was that painting with a brush or what? I think DD is a long way from that!!

aloha Tue 01-Feb-05 15:11:11

I admit to a large degree of scepticism about how much of the artwork children bring home from nursery is actually done by them.... esp when they are still babies. So don't let your friends' experiences make you feel inadequate!

woodpops Tue 01-Feb-05 15:18:40

Aquadraw is very good as well. Just fill the pens with water and let the darlings scribble away on the mat provided then if they're tempted to stray with the pans to walls, furniture etc they can't do any damage as they only contain water

MistressMary Tue 01-Feb-05 15:20:50

have you got a link for one of these?
I think that sounds fantastic idea!
I know someone mentioned its a good pressie idea, but never tracked one down.

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 01-Feb-05 15:21:22

No with hands and sponges. They put some small ice cream type tubs with some paint in. She did attempt to eat the paint at first and then realised what it did!
She seems to have a genuine interest in drawing. That etch a sketch thing we bought has a pretend pen on it, you know, that come up black on the pad. They're called a super scribbler.
I will be investing in an easel in the summer for her.

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 01-Feb-05 15:27:15

Oh and I did make xmas cards from dd when she was 3 months with just a footprint and handprint on them. I used gold and silver paints. Everyone was over the moon with them as it was like having their own keepsake.

crouchingtigeress Tue 01-Feb-05 16:17:50

Do you have a Wilkinson close to you? The big branches have a wide range of arts/crafts, at a very reasonable price.

scotlou Tue 01-Feb-05 16:29:41

Re all the stuff done at nursery - thing is they do so much you just can't keep it all and it ends up in the bin! And I agree - I don't think at that age that they do much of it themselves. What we usually get is a photocopied outline onto which dd has splashed paint / made a few crayon scribbles / scattered some glitter. I don't think at that age that they really appreciate what they are doing so I wouldn't worry about your wee one missing out. Once mine got to 18 months though she did like splashing paint about - and will sit much longer than her brother (he's 5) with crayons. For Christmas cards I get stickers from Lakeland or ELC and let them stick them onto blank cards. Making things from cut out hand prints is a good idea - and is one of the good craft ideas done at nursery (which didn't get binned!). They stuck her handprint cutout from green paper onto a card - fingers pointing down and painted a trunk. Quite effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now