Talk

Advanced search

spray painting a zimmer frame?

(19 Posts)
Spink Fri 27-Jun-08 11:30:09

a friend needs to use a zimmer frame to help with mobility. It might sound like a small thing, but the ugly colour really puts her off using it (she is gorgeous, and loves clothes and fashion, and doesn't want her identity to be ruled by the 'disabled' label).
I wondered about spray painting a beautiful metallic colour, and need some advice as I don't know how to go about finding paint let alone doing the painting..
The zimmer is aluminium I think.
Any ideas?

MaryBS Fri 27-Jun-08 11:37:23

I would go for something like Hammerite.

vInTaGeVioLeT Fri 27-Jun-08 13:47:50

car spray paint? you can get it custom mixed my friend used to have a car sprayed in porshe? carmine it was gorgeous!

Romy7 Fri 27-Jun-08 13:57:23

'pimp my zimmer'...

you can get coloured ones... dd's is yellow but a bit small i suspect.

there are also all sorts of signs and stuff available ( mostly designed for the er... younger market 'i can do tricks' etc) from online disability stores...

i'd go for hammerite if i was doing it myself...

please tell me it belongs to her and not the PCT though... grin

PrettyCandles Fri 27-Jun-08 13:59:52

I spray painted ghastly tacky dated metal cupboard handles with car spray paint from Halfords. Worked a dream. I think you're meant to spray a lacquer over them to make it hardwearing, but I skimped and didn't do it yet they wore perfectly well. If she's using the frame out-of-doors then the lacquer is probably essential.

ipodtherforipoor Fri 27-Jun-08 14:10:24

Do it!!! Sod it if it is the PCTs!

as an OT I would rather she did that and used it and have to justify to my boss what had happen to the frame, than have to think that she restricted herself because she couldnt bear to use the frame!

infact as an OT I would probably want to help - and recomend halfords as a stockist of suitable spray paint and WH Smith as a fine purveyor of glitter!

Romy7 Fri 27-Jun-08 14:12:41

oooo. glitter. not mentioning that to dd...

RubyRioja Fri 27-Jun-08 14:14:42

Can you get glow in the dark spray paint? How cool would that be?

Romy7 Fri 27-Jun-08 14:14:42

actually our OT is a dab hand with all sorts of dubious craft/ improvisation etc - is it an essential part of the training or just a necessity to compensate for lack of adequate equipment? grin

Romy7 Fri 27-Jun-08 14:16:03

rofl ruby - we've got headtorch headlights attached to dd's - she couldn't wear the headtorch herself (kept falling off the pavement) but tied to the frame they are ace...

ipodtherforipoor Fri 27-Jun-08 14:24:32

on a practical note I would take off the ferules (the rubber feet), tape up the handles with a plastic bag, rub the frame with surgical spirit to clean it, then rub with fine sandpaper - clean again, the spray spray spray!

My parents got glitter psray at Focus for my bedrooom a few years ago that would give a nice sheen!

RTKangaMummy Fri 27-Jun-08 14:27:55

You can get yellow reflective tape that is kind of glittery and it shows up in dark

smile

What a cool idea to customise frames

grin

ipodtherforipoor Fri 27-Jun-08 14:29:39

this is a lovely colour I sprayedsome platform shoes with it, coated then in PVA glue and rolled them in glitter for a fancydress party!

Spink Fri 27-Jun-08 14:50:12

Oh, you lot are SO LOVELY. Thanks for all the ideas grin

Romy7 lol at "pimp my zimmer"

argh I think it MIGHT belong to the PCT.. if so, does she HAVE to tell them?

I think this might be the most exciting trip to Halfords I'll ever have...
.. and do places like B&Q stock Hammerite?

RTKangaMummy Fri 27-Jun-08 14:52:31

I think if she will need it for months or years or forever then she doesn't have to

BUT if she is just having it for days or weeks then I think she should mention it to her OT

could you take a photo after her zimmer has been "pimped"?

grin

Romy7 Fri 27-Jun-08 14:58:18

well, the best way of them NEVER FINDING OUT, is to ring them and tell them she doesn't need it any more, and please could they come and collect it...
you will never hear from them again. grin

(sorry ipod - couldn't resist it)

have lots of fun with the makeover!

ipodtherforipoor Fri 27-Jun-08 15:21:48

so true though!!

I go to see people all the time who have endedup with8 zimmer frames, 4 raised toilet seats - and they are all different sizes! They just cant get them to come and get them back!

Romy7 Fri 27-Jun-08 15:37:28

and at the other end of the street is some poor dot who's been waiting two years, being told 'we haven't got any in the cupboard..'
grin

ipodtherforipoor Sun 27-Jul-08 12:17:41

did it go? maybe thses will be off use if she is able to ditch the frame! - appologies if its not appropriate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now