Talk

Advanced search

buying fabric - online, local stores or deparment store?

(10 Posts)
webchick Mon 16-Jun-08 11:46:01

Hi fellow MN crafters, I am planning on buying a sewing machine to do some easy projects - got some clothes alterations to do and fancy making some simple projects e.g. cushions, fabric panels to drape over kids playtent.....so my question is, apart from e.g. IKEA where do you all get your fabric from?

I am looking at value for ££, good ranges and easy to order. John Lewis springs to mind but might they be more expensive for my cheap and cheerful needs?

TIA everyone.

ps I live in S London so if anyone knows of decent local fabric shops let me know!

GrapefruitMoon Mon 16-Jun-08 11:51:35

I'm not anywhere near you but our local market has some good fabric stalls, very reasonable too.

ranting Mon 16-Jun-08 11:52:08

If you want to go cheap and cheerful, then fabricland is good, mail order only though. Had good service from efabrics and cheap fabrics too.

I know it's across the water from you, but if you're looking for something really cheap, walthamstow is great for really really cheap (I'm talking a quid a metre) and cheerful fabric and there are a couple of places there which do some good (and a little £s more, but not much) stuff.

webchick Fri 20-Jun-08 17:33:50

thanks Ranting - for a minute I thought you lived in America (across the water!). Also thanks for the sewing machine reply as well.

KDMary Mon 14-Jul-08 12:37:38

Hi! If you live in South London, then have you tried the Crafty Sewer in Tooting? http://www.craftysewer.com It is near Tooting/Balham and it is next to a large sewing machine (Wimsew/Brother) store.

They sell fabrics at a reasonable price.

If not there is Rolls and Rems in Southgate/Lewisham (but don't take children there as it is not safe).

princessofpower Mon 14-Jul-08 12:43:56

Message withdrawn

lucykate Mon 14-Jul-08 21:10:08

i get a lot from charity shops and jumble sales, sheets are useful, as they are so big, can cut them up for loads of things, have also cut up old shirts and skirts to re-use the fabric.

moocowme Fri 18-Jul-08 21:16:03

what sort of stuff do they sell at walthamstow? is this the saturday market?

ranting Sat 19-Jul-08 19:07:29

No not the Saturday market, I use the shops, there are at least 5 fabric shops in Walthamstow ranging from the reasonable to 'cheap as chips and it doesn't matter if I cock up the skirt I'm making' type.

MrsWeasley Sat 19-Jul-08 19:13:22

I use fabricland too.
They are very helpful and will ring you if there are any queries with your order. I once rang them because I had to make something for a costume and they were great advised about the weight of the fabrics and sent out samples. Quick delivery too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now