Talk

Advanced search

Cross stitch question about aida fabric

(19 Posts)
Cadbury Mon 24-Jan-05 17:33:13

I wondered if anyone might know . . . . My mum has asked me to design and make a new cover for the seat of her piano cushion and I know the dimensions that needs to be in cms. I'm using the Jane Greenoff Cross stitch designer software but I don't know how to translate the size of everything I'm seeing on the screen into cms on the fabric. I plan to use 14 count Aida (I think). Does anyone understnd what I mean? Can anyone help?

Cadbury Mon 24-Jan-05 17:33:41

I meant piano stool.

anorak Mon 24-Jan-05 17:37:09

Some of the cross-stitch websites have conversion charts for this sort of thing. Google "cross stitch" and take a look.

Cadbury Mon 24-Jan-05 17:38:04

will try anorak, thanks

Cadbury Mon 24-Jan-05 19:17:27

Haven't been able to find anything like that

Anyone else any ideas?

Tommy Mon 24-Jan-05 19:21:13

Doesn't the count on Aida mean the squares per inch? Would that mean you'd just have to convert the inches to cm and work it our from there? Don't know of that makes any sense but I think that's what it is.
Probably hasn't helped at all but maybe someone who really knows what theyu're talking about will be along soon

Dior Mon 24-Jan-05 20:11:09

Message withdrawn

Cadbury Mon 24-Jan-05 20:31:53

Thanks Dior and Tommy.

I'll get my long multiplication head on and figure it out that way.

I was planning on using motifs rather than a photo (not quite brave enough to attempt that yet. Still learning and cocking up the basics with this programme!).

Yurtgirl Mon 24-Jan-05 20:36:20

Message withdrawn

Cadbury Tue 25-Jan-05 08:54:42

Hi Yurtgirl. My mum wants motifs on a musical theme but I can only find a few ready made bits and pieces. I guess I will have to make up my own but I'm pretty new to the designing stuff.

I have another question about aida though, does 14 count mean 14 stitches in a linear inch or a square inch. Anyone?

Tommy Tue 25-Jan-05 09:08:27

I think it means 14 squares across to one inch - is that linear? It couldn't be 14 to a square inch as 14 isn't a number that can be divided like that (can't remember the mathematical term - long time since O level maths - don't tell my PhD in maths husband!!!!!

Cadbury Tue 25-Jan-05 09:20:44

That's what I figured. Square number is what you were thinking of. I just wondered if it was somehow evened out over the whole piece of fabric (an average of 14 stitches per square inch). It makes my calculations much easier if it isn't though

Thanks Tommy .

Tommy Tue 25-Jan-05 09:26:59

Sqaure number...... must remember that - put it back in the memory where it was before the space got taken over by nappies and potties...

Tommy Tue 25-Jan-05 09:27:22

Good luck BTW

nnosam Tue 25-Jan-05 09:48:09

if you go to
www.aion-needlecrafts.co.uk/info/convert.htm

you will find a fabric converter that i have found very usefull.

Cadbury Tue 25-Jan-05 14:01:53

Thanks, you nice people . I get the feeling it will take m a year to design this and at least 2 to make it. As it's going to be sat on, any ideas how to protect it whilst still keeping it visible?

Yurtgirl Tue 25-Jan-05 14:15:38

Message withdrawn

Tommy Tue 25-Jan-05 14:21:42

Must admit Cadbury - I have thought this before - I was going to do a footstool for my Mum and dad then realsiedt hat I wouldn't want their feet on my hard-worked cross stitch!

Cadbury Tue 25-Jan-05 15:33:54

Thanks for your thoughts. I have to admit that I really don't know anything about tapestry and have certainly never tried that before. I'm not sure that now is the right time .

I don't supose my mum sits on it all that often (she's a busy student) so it would be more decorative than utility but it would be nice to keep it on display yet protected.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: