Talk

Advanced search

kids hat knitting patterns

(12 Posts)
motherpeculiar Mon 10-Jan-05 15:36:08

never realised MN had an arts and crafts topic - bet I'll be addicted. I love A&C although I'm a bit crap at it all

I'm currently on the look out for knitting patterns for kids hats, esp. the ones with little earflaps. Anyone got pointers?

DD is 2.5 and we've lost nearly all her hats and I can't find one I like in the shops for less than 20 quid soI thought I'd try my hand (pardon the awful pun) myself...

thanks

Blackduck Mon 10-Jan-05 15:39:26

There was a really nice pattern in this week's Guardian mag.....it's small, but sure you could make it larger...http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,1384649,00.html

munnzieb Mon 10-Jan-05 16:02:58

i've got a few knittin patterns if u'd like them, one has a beanie hat on it, quite sweet, the other hat ones are rather old fashioned i'm afraid, but will send them over if you'd like them?

Dingle Mon 10-Jan-05 16:53:40

I have got some patterns that might be of use to you. If you are interested CAT me.
I have a lot to do over the next few days, so I might not be able to get back straight away, but they are on offer if you want them!
DD needs some herself so I need to sort them out anyway.

motherpeculiar Tue 11-Jan-05 10:10:48

Thanks you lot.

I'd love any patterns that are going to be honest. I'll cat you Dingle and munnzieb. Blackduck I loved that article and the umbilical cord hat is already a winner on name alone . I'm currently 29 wks pg with no.2 so I'll do one for their arrival anyway, even if I can't figure out how to increase the size for DD1...

I like this part of MN very much already

Dingle Wed 12-Jan-05 13:49:55

MP, I've got your CAT. Are you around???

motherpeculiar Thu 13-Jan-05 13:01:49

Dingle and MunzieB

got your messages and thanks so much Dingle for the Sherlock Holmes hat. I love it!

Mad busy at work at the moment so just ducking in for a mo over lunchtime (lunchtime - pah, my company thinks it's for wimps unfortunately!)

Can't wait to get knitting again - seems like so long since i did any. I have one or two half finished cardis for DD1 hanging around but I was making up the pattern as I went and have bo idea what I had in mind now I go back to them a year or so later. Will stick to small, manageable projects (with patterns ) until I hit my stride again.

Another question - do any of you have good tips on where to but wool, needles etc. online? I don't have a good source near me and can't bear the thought of trekking into John Lewis with my 7 month bump and toddler in tow...

Any tips gratefully received

motherpeculiar Thu 13-Jan-05 13:03:50

rushing - didn't preview - sorry about the typos

bo = no
but = buy

Dingle Thu 13-Jan-05 13:32:31

MotherP, wool stockists seem to be dropping like flies, don't they. sorry, I am still trying to use up the hoards of wool up in the loft, before buying any more.
The only place that springs to mind is Knitwell but their wools are pretty basic. The other other thing you could do is contact someone like Rowan, Jeagar...direct to see if they couls help with stockist. I have a little wool shop not to far away but it's a nightmare for parking, quite touristy, farmers markets,,,etc, don't go there but I know from my mum that they do a postal service.
I'll get busy now!!!

motherpeculiar Thu 13-Jan-05 13:40:39

Hey Dingle

I know - it's dreadful not being able to access good wool and stuff easily. I'm originally from Ireland where the town I grew up in had wool sections in most of the big shops, as well as dedicated smaller shops. Still does afaik.I really miss that. I have considered setting one up myself (fleetingly I hasten to add!) but I guess there must be some reason they are all shutting up shop....

look forward to getting your other patterns, thanks again

Piffle Thu 13-Jan-05 13:43:14

kangaroo.co.uk is excellent for service with a cyber smile
Sue Pearce runs it...
Worth a look!
I'll dig thru my Debbie Bliss books, there are some nice hats in them

Just blew my Mn cover of being hard ass take no prisoners bitch then huh?

motherpeculiar Thu 13-Jan-05 13:51:20

Thanks Piffle

yup - afraid your image is well and truly shattered now you big softy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now