Talk

Advanced search

Quick help, book week costume, 'distressed' trousers

(11 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Wed 03-Oct-07 21:14:50

I need to make the bottom hem of a pair of pjs all raggedy, for a 'Tom the Cabin Boy' costume.

The pjs are tshirt material, you know, thin knit cotton.

Do I just cut a zigzag thing on it, and cope with it fraying? They only have to be worn for one day ... or do I (gulp) hem it somehow in the zig zag pattern?

Tortington Wed 03-Oct-07 21:15:41

cut zig zag and have done!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 03-Oct-07 21:19:41

Oh good.

We won the costume prize thing last year, with a (very) homemade captain underpants outfit, I'm very pleased with cabin boy tom, only debate is whether I let DS1 take in his (new, antique) midshipman's box.

Califright Wed 03-Oct-07 21:22:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bookwormtailmum Wed 03-Oct-07 21:30:33

Or use pinking shears grin.

GingermonkeySucksBlood Wed 03-Oct-07 21:38:21

yep, cut it. It won't fray if it's jersey (I did the same to some of DS's last year, and he wore them for ages as PJ bottoms as he took a fancy to them!) At worst it will curl a little.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 03-Oct-07 21:40:42

If I had pinking shears ... well, actually, I wouldn't use them, because I want big jagged lines, not little ones. :-P

Califright Thu 04-Oct-07 17:22:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bookwormmum Thu 04-Oct-07 17:35:48

grin

GingermonkeySucksBlood Thu 04-Oct-07 20:21:25

cali, I'm there with you!! grin I remember thinking everyone had them too, in fact I was shocked to learn that other people's mums couldn't actually sew, and they got their clothes from real shops - not clothkits grin (and was soooooooo jealous of the girls that had snoopy socks at school from woolies grin)

rantinghousewife Thu 04-Oct-07 20:27:59

Pinking shears are a wonderous invention, all shiney and baring teeth grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now