Thinking about a new sewing machine

(6 Posts)
Dilbertian Tue 23-Jun-20 12:36:24

I use an ancient Bernina 1130, well-loved, well-looked-after. But it's beginning to show its age. I've had to take it to the repair place for the second time in less than 6m. It's also getting hard to get spare parts for it. So I may have to bite the bullet and replace it.

I repair clothes, do a bit of dressmaking, and I'm a quilter. Mostly I machine piece, so I love the knee-operated lifter on my Bernina. I both hand and machine quilt, so would want a machine that can cope with quilting, too. I confess I am not keen on the idea of a machine that replaces knobs and buttons with a touchscreen. I cannot see the need to programme a sewing machine beyond my current machine's capability to remember the last settings so that I can switch easily between settings.

Any suggestions how to choose Bernie's replacement?

OP’s posts: |
Knittedfairies Tue 23-Jun-20 13:21:23

Have you got an independent sewing machine shop nearby, so you can discuss your needs with the sales staff?

Dilbertian Tue 23-Jun-20 14:50:22

There's the place I get my machine fixed, but I find the owner very daunting. I'd like to have some understanding of what I might be looking for, before I consult him.

Knittedfairies Wed 24-Jun-20 15:30:46

Find another shop; he should be trying to help not scaring you!

Ihgnelotto Thu 25-Jun-20 11:37:55

I saw a beautiful Pfaff in my local sewing shop (this was pre lockdown), it’s was in an independent shop and the ladies take their sewing in to demonstrate / try the machines out. It was predominantly a quilting machine, out of all the machines in the shop it was the one that they all wanted to use, they mostly sell Bernini, Pfaff, Juki and Husquvarna.

It was £££’s but I’m guessing it would last years...

And as for the intimidating man, I’d definitely find a more friendly shop, there are plenty of them!

Dilbertian Fri 26-Jun-20 13:19:04

I will find another so showroom smile

What features do people like/dislike in their modern sewing machines? What's worth paying extra for?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in