Talk

Advanced search

Sweater design

(5 Posts)
rantinghousewife Sun 23-Sep-07 22:27:33

I want to knit a plain old polo neck jumper preferably in Elle stretch. Trouble is I can't find a pattern and although I take liberties with most knitting patterns I use, I have never designed my own before. Anyone on here had a go, how easy was it? And are there any good books that give you invaluable advice.
TIA

crimplene Sun 23-Sep-07 22:30:51

You want this book:
www.amazon.co.uk/Knitters-Handy-Book-Sweater-Patterns/dp/1931499438/ref=sr_1_1/203-6248376-1927966?i e=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190582972&sr=8-1

rantinghousewife Sun 23-Sep-07 22:40:30

Ohh thanks, will have a butchers at that, have you or anyone else had a go?
Got to go now but will be back tomorrow.

crimplene Mon 24-Sep-07 12:23:00

Yes, the thing I like about it is that you can come up with the tension first and then chose the pattern that will end up at the right size insead of the usual annoying method - very useful for more interesting stitches or making strange sizes. I steal bits from other patterns and mix them up with the basic instructions in here. I can't remember of there are polo neck instructions in the book,I think there are, but possibly not - I've never made one, but easy enough to make it up as if for a crew neck and then either experiment or steal the polo neck instructions from something else.

rantinghousewife Mon 24-Sep-07 19:34:18

Brilliant, thanks for that, must admit it's not the polo neck that bothers me too much, as it's just an extended crew neck, ifyswim. Noo, it's the sleeves that bring me out in a cold sweat because I'd rather have fitted sleeves than raglan and designing my own off the top of my head sounds like the stuff of nightmares. Sooo I will get that book and give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now