Buying Fabric Online

(9 Posts)
MrsJackRackham Fri 24-Apr-20 08:58:46

I've had my mum's sewing machine sat in my kitchen for months now and have decided now is the perfect opportunity to start sewing.
Obviously I can only buy fabric online just now which makes things difficult as i can't feel it. I want to make a very simple tunic style top, quite light, for summer. Not shiny polyester, more like lightweight cotton. Can anyone please recommend a cheap reasonably priced online shop and advise what fabric description to look for? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
HalloHalloHallo Sat 25-Apr-20 16:18:51

Maybe not ideal but I've bought cheap fabric off Ebay and Amazon before and it turned out better than I had expected. Have used the fabric to make various types of bags and a quilt and even after washing them they are still ok. Large selection of colours and cheap especially if you can get one with free shipping. Can't recomend a shop I'm afraid as I'm not aware of one.

boomchikawowwow Sat 25-Apr-20 16:19:54

There's a website called £1 a metre that's really good

LIZS Sat 25-Apr-20 16:26:55

John lewis have dress fabric online . I used white lodge fabrics a few years back and you can request swatches, as with some others, Minerva was another iirc. Not sure who is open though atm. Would suggest a polycotton if starting out, definitely not too fine or stretchy.

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Sat 25-Apr-20 16:46:16

Minerva crafts are really good. Have used them quite a few times with no problems. Also used cheapfabrics.co.uk a couple of weeks ago and was happy with the fabric

MrsJackRackham Sat 25-Apr-20 18:38:06

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I've plenty to look at now.

OP’s posts: |
Lorreanne Mon 27-Apr-20 14:15:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Knittedfairies Mon 27-Apr-20 14:28:26

Some companies will send a sample, either foc or for a small sum. Enjoy your sewing!

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 27-Apr-20 14:38:11

Minerva have said, this morning, that they are running a bit late on deliveries, may not be quite what you want to hear. But do check with whoever you order from, so as not to be disappointed

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in