Talk

Advanced search

INTARSIA - how??

(7 Posts)
EffiePerine Thu 13-Sep-07 09:20:14

Am knitting a jumper for DS in a rather fetching jockey design, but it has a large intarsia star on the front. I've knitted patterns before but have always carreid the wool across the back. This is too big, plus I'm a bit low on the main colour wool so don't want to waste any. The pattern instructions say 'twist the wool together' - how? Do I carry it across the back ofr a couple of stitches? How do I avoid big holes?

warthog Thu 13-Sep-07 10:57:45

aha, my area of expertise!

you knit along until you need to change colour, pick up the new colour wool and twist it round the old colour (once only) so there isn't a gap. weave in the loose end behind as it'll drive you mental if you have to sew all the ends in at the end.

this site has good videos.

however, i had to learn a few tricks in order to keep things smooth:

- don't be tempted to pull your yarn as tight as you can at the joins, just try and knit naturally
- if it's a vertical line or diagonal moving to the right, cross the yarns over each other to avoid a hole.
- if it's a diagonal moving to the left, DO NOT twist the yarn. you won't have a hole, and it'll avoid leaving a bit stitch which ruins the weave.

hope that makes sense. it took me a while to get the hang of it.

EffiePerine Thu 13-Sep-07 11:36:37

Diagonals? Not sure what you mean...

warthog Thu 13-Sep-07 12:03:26

because knitting is like a grid, a change in colour will either be:

- a horizontal line
- a vertical line
- a diagonal line to the left
- a diagonal line to the right

a square will have two horizontal and two vertical lines
a triangle will have a horizontal line and two diagonal lines

i'm not very good at explaining...

EffiePerine Thu 13-Sep-07 13:19:15

I think I see

[steam coming out of ears]

EffiePerine Thu 13-Sep-07 13:19:47

no good at this spatial reasoning stuff. Will give it a go and report back

warthog Thu 13-Sep-07 16:55:31

yes, that's the best thing. and those videos are good (although they don't explain about the left diagonal, so you might find holes at that point, but you know how to remedy it). smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now