Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy felt online?

(41 Posts)
shouldbe Sun 09-Sep-07 08:19:54

I need to get hold of some felt in order to make a simple costume for my dd to wear to a carnival parade next weekend - left till last minute as alwaysblush hence nice simple felt (no hemming and dd can glue sparkles etc on with ease)
Does anyone know where is good and reliable to buy felt online (preferably with a 24hour delievery service!)

Thanks

bootsmonkey Sun 09-Sep-07 09:32:27

How about this??

bootsmonkey Sun 09-Sep-07 09:33:35

free delivery, but sure you could upgrade to next day if you offered to pay for it??

smeeinit Sun 09-Sep-07 09:34:56

have you tried ebay? theres some great sellers on there for craft items,also do hobby craft have an online shop.......

Gingermonkey Sun 09-Sep-07 10:05:08

follow the link from here. It's wool mix though, so a bit more expensive but it's really lovely felt, and the colours are great. If you get it from here tell her gingermonkey sent you grin (she's my friend!)

shouldbe Sun 09-Sep-07 12:02:12

Thanks everyone

I'm planning to make dd into a fairy (the theme is anything magical). Do those of you who work with felt have any inspiration?....

I hope to be able to make a simple skirt from felt petals and perhaps adapt some shoes to be more elf-like...we have a great hat already and a set of wings, although the wings are bought and they ought to be home-made...may need to think up a way to make some ourselves...Not sure what to do for a top - maybe just stitch a felt flower on a t-shirt or something...

I discovered an enjoyment of working with felt when I made some Christmas decorations last year and so would like to do more. Haven't done anything crafty for ages and would love to get back into it!

shouldbe Sun 09-Sep-07 12:16:36

Gingermonkey, do you know whether your friend would be able to dispatch quickly? The website says 7-10 days.... (I'd rather buy from someone via a personal recommendation if I can )

Gingermonkey Sun 09-Sep-07 18:23:22

She sent me some last week and it was with me in 2 days. I think she has most colours in stock, I know she is waiting for some white though (but that may be there now). Just send her an email and ask if she can rush it out to you and I'm sure she will, she is very lovely smile

Gingermonkey Sun 09-Sep-07 18:42:09

I would do felt petals, over a net tutu like skirt, or felt and net petals (makes it look fuller and you don't have to spend as much money on felt). I'd make a sash to go around the waist to hid the elastic waistband (out of either wide ribbon or some thin fabric) and I agree with the idea of sewing a flower onto a t-shirt. Maybe a few flowers, layer them up so they look fuller too and put a bit of embroidery or seedbeads. Just a few suggestions off the top of my head grin

shouldbe Sun 09-Sep-07 19:45:47

All great ideas Gingermonkey, thanks Dd has a little pink tutu so I was planning to use that as my base. Hadn't thought about layering the petals themselves though....and would need to get hold of netting too (can't get to shops this week, live in the sticks!) I am hoping to get dd to sew some sequins and beads on to add some sparkle
The hat I have is felt and looks like a little bluebell shaped flower, the petals of which sit on dds head and it has a long stalk which comes out the top where a bobble would go - very cute! It's a plum colour so I was hoping to get felt to look like the petals from the same flower as the hat so will have to ask your friend if she has anything that colour. I have tons of white felt left from my Christmas project so could layer that if need be (or could I dye it?...) I'll email her in a minute

Thanks for your help

Gingermonkey Sun 09-Sep-07 22:57:12

Sounds fab! You should be able to dye the white felt, if you cold soaked it. It may come out mottled, but I think that would be rather nice. I can go to the shops for you and get you some netting if you need it (any excuse to go to the haberdashery, lol!). I think my local has white, pink, or blue (pastels). I'm off to bed now so I will check in the morning and if you need to me just let me know how much you reckon you'd need and I'll pop it in the post for you tomorrow. No problemo! grin Tuesday I am going to the bigger town and I could pick up some dylon dye for you if you need that, as you are a country bumpkin!

shouldbe Mon 10-Sep-07 08:05:45

grin Thanks, I may well take you up on the offer. Mottled would look rather nice if I do end up dying the felt I'll dig it out and see if I'm remembering correctly that I have lots left...

I've found that there's a fabric shop hidden away in a small village near here that I can get to this morning so am planning to go there after dropping dd at school - I'll post here straight afterwards if I've been unsuccessful at picking up what I need (it sounds like a very small shop) I'd hope to be home again by 10.30/11ish, hope that'll be OK with you.

It may all be rather ambitious for a beginner like me though....[worried]hmm

shouldbe Mon 10-Sep-07 08:15:14

OK, I have just less than a metre square of white felt and the same of a very bright Christmassy red. Do you think a plum dye would take on top of the red felt too (I'm doubtful, it's such a strong colour) Dd is 6 and tall so the petals need to be quite big, I'm not sure I have enough felt anyway - agh!

<starting to seriously doubt I'm up to the task>

Gingermonkey Mon 10-Sep-07 09:23:27

Not a problem....just let me know. I will be going out at about 12.30 or 1pm to nip into town, or I can do everything I need to do for you tomorrow in Leeds (which is much bigger and sells more things).

Ok, I have just phoned a shop in Leeds and they have felt on the roll in most colours (not plum though...but mauve and purple and white and some dye!) I am going for definite tomorrow (meeting friends for lunch) so I can pick some up and then post it to you tues before the post office closes. (It is 90 cm wide and £5 a metre). Forgot to ask about the net, but I know they do it because I have bought from there before and it's about £3 or £4 a metre.

I am getting excited now, I want to join in and help!!!!!

Gingermonkey Mon 10-Sep-07 09:26:13

What about bleaching the red a bit, and then trying a dye? (I'm thinking about what happens at the hairdressers when they do my hair!!!)

shouldbe Mon 10-Sep-07 11:49:16

Hello again

I've ended up driving all over the local area looking for craft shops! Went into my last hope, found they couldn't help then spotted a plum coloured felt style jacket hanging outside a charity shop - exactly the right colour, cost me £1 shockgrin Just hope I can get enough petals out of it... There was alos a silky scarf in a slightly more pinky colour for £1 so i got that too (grabbing everything in frantic panic!)
Also managed to find some pink netting and some dark green, got 2 meters of pink and 1 of the green (hope that's enough too, not feeling desperatly confident!)

Oh, and found some sequins too

Have to dash to collect ds from school.

Will be back later! x

Gingermonkey Mon 10-Sep-07 12:03:43

Excellent news!!!!!!! And a bargain too! You do realise you need to put the pics of the end result on your profile, don't you?! If you need me to get anything tomorrow, just let me know, I'm happy to help grin

shouldbe Mon 10-Sep-07 14:08:44

grin[dread-at-you-seeing-what-I-create-emotion] I'll see what I can do (don't own a digital camera, but must be able to find someone to help!)

I may need some help/ideas when constructing the outfit so may be back for more help yet (if that's OK?!) grin

shouldbe Mon 10-Sep-07 14:17:21

I've put a (poor quality) photo of the hat on my profile for you

Gingermonkey Mon 10-Sep-07 16:09:36

That hat is really cute. I'm going on a mission to find skirts for you to copy!!!! I wish my dd was more into fairies (or a bit younger so she'd have no choice but to wear a fairy dress I'd made her!!!!! - she's 8 and wants to be a drummer or a photographer!)

I shall be back with fairy skirt pics.......

Gingermonkey Mon 10-Sep-07 16:35:44

I would do this....tutu instructions using net and then something like this over the top... but better....using the plum felt.

And then I'd make a flowery corsage to pin/sew onto a t-shirt. Like this type of thing but maybe with a few sequins and seed beads or something to make it a bit more glittery.

Hope that helps!

shouldbe Mon 10-Sep-07 17:21:34

Ohhhh great ideas gingermonkey thanks

The over-skirt idea is just what I had in mind and the tutu ideas are great too - I was wondering how to make up something like that! (love the picture of the lady cleaning windows in her tutu lol!)

The flower corsages are lovely, way better than I'd thought of so I'll be refering back to that later, I'm sure dd could help me with one or two of those The sequins I bought have mysteriously gone missing from my bag between buying them and getting home so I'll probably have to go and buy another packet angry

Still not sure about shoes...or wings....but you've given me loads of ideas to keep me going for now!

Thank you x

Gingermonkey Mon 10-Sep-07 17:43:38

Thank the lord for wikihow!!!
Or you could make some from card, DD could then help you paint them. When my DD was a fairy for a party she wore ballet pumps and I put flower corsages on them (any excuse to make a brooch!!!) But you could make some felt pixie shoes, like slippers. Follow the basic pattern/shape here and then tweak them to look more like this

Can you tell I'm getting carried away now? I will leave you to just get on with it eventually you know grin

shouldbe Mon 10-Sep-07 19:06:53

You have high expectations of my costume making abilities!
I'm hoping not to disappoint! grin

I've taken the jacket apart already this evening and so also have the lining to use - I'm thinking of alternate felt and lining petals on the skirt in the hope of getting 10ish petals altogether...I was thinking about making them quite long but I don't think I'll have enough fabric. And once they're on top of the tutu and sticking out a bit, they probably don't want to be very long anyway....

In the morning I'll measure dd and make a template so i can get started

shouldbe Tue 11-Sep-07 10:29:15

Have made a tutu! It's great and sooo easy - I can see myself churning them out for all dds friends for Christmas presents grin

Next job is making a template for the over-skirt (I am very worried about having enough felt for this so need to be confident with my measurements)

I'm really enjoying getting creative again

I'll need more projects once this one is over grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now