Talk

Advanced search

Help me out...an under the sea fancy dress idea....

(25 Posts)
Squirdle Sat 25-Aug-07 23:35:10

..by next Sunday. Preferably fairly simple, have thought octopus, jellyfish, fish etc, but don't have much of an idea of how to go about making one.

Am turning puter off now, but will reply tomorrow.

Thankyou in advance x

SlightlyMadShockwave Sat 25-Aug-07 23:44:55

Well, I shall pretend to be Califrau for 2 minutes and suggest you make a treasure chest out of a cardboard box....

meandmy Sat 25-Aug-07 23:46:29

mermaid, fish, starfish, hook

Squirdle Sun 26-Aug-07 20:07:43

Great ideas but how do I make them???? Treasure chest sounds interesting. Don't th ink DS2 will want to be a mermaid! And a hook??!!? How do you turn a child into a hook??

Washersaurus Sun 26-Aug-07 20:09:23

Shark!!

choosyfloosy Sun 26-Aug-07 20:22:41

I have a shark mask - got it from a local 'party' shop. Make a shark fin - fin shape from cardboard, cover in silver glitter/paint, punch 2 sets holes in straight edge of fin, get some silver elastic from a haberdasher's, thread elastic through holes and make each end into a loop to go over your arms. Silver/grey t-shirt/leggings, tights, whatever you have.

Lots of cool make-up underneath with loads of eyeliner, as you won't wear the mask for long...

FunkyGlassSlipper Sun 26-Aug-07 20:24:10

Octopus. Clothing all in same colour and then 4 pairs of tights stuffed with something attached (ie the 8 legs)

rantinghousewife Sun 26-Aug-07 20:31:15

You could just mock up an instant fish costume with something like this from fabricland

SlightlyMadShockwave Sun 26-Aug-07 20:52:27

Erm, erm dunno - Califrau is the expert at cardboard box costumes.

I guess you basically wear teh cardboard box a bit like a sandwich board. You can decorate the box in anyway you see fit - in this instance a treasure chest.....or even a wrecked ship hmm.

SanJoseMourinho Sun 26-Aug-07 21:11:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SanJoseMourinho Sun 26-Aug-07 21:18:47

SlightlyMadShockwave Sun 26-Aug-07 21:41:02

But califrau - you hav't suggested a 'proper' cardboard box costume.....are you slipping?

paulaplumpbottom Sun 26-Aug-07 21:42:14

Neptune

spudmasher Sun 26-Aug-07 21:43:33

Spongebob Squarepants lends itself to the cardboard box genre....

SanJoseMourinho Sun 26-Aug-07 21:43:53

SlightlyMadShockwave Sun 26-Aug-07 21:46:38

But I thought that you were expert at practically putting children in cardboard boxes for fancy dress (I recall a suggestion of box of popcorn when the theme was fils/cinema).

Sticking a cardboard fish either side of the child is not the same as putting the child in the carboard box grin.

SanJoseMourinho Sun 26-Aug-07 23:00:07

overthehill Sun 26-Aug-07 23:09:21

My ds (8) was in a drama production recently on a fishy theme where he insisted he wanted to be a puffa fish. He devised a costume with some yellow material made into a tunic (folded in half and cut neck hole), then some cone shapes made into spikes and sewn on, with sticks that he could push into them to make them stick out. Dh helped with the sewing (what a star!) as I couldn't really understand what he meant when he described it, & it did look very effective & an impressive construction for an 8-year-old.

SlightlyMadShockwave Sun 26-Aug-07 23:16:16

Well I wouldn't have thought that cinema/films was very boxy but you still produced a boxy idea grin

SlightlyMadShockwave Mon 27-Aug-07 12:01:28

califrau - just in case you ever need some cardboard box inspiration - I thought this was fab.

Squirdle Mon 27-Aug-07 15:38:21

You lot are good!

Liking the shark idea, seems the most simple. The fisherman does too, but it's an under the sea theme so unless it's a drowned fisherman....

We have a 'party' shop so I will go and have a look tomorrow.

Thankyou x

filthymindedvixen Mon 27-Aug-07 15:48:45

seaweed? Dress in green, sew 'weedy' green strips to top. Spray hair green. Paint face green etc etc etc

filthymindedvixen Mon 27-Aug-07 15:49:12

oh, girl or boy BTW?

MrsBadger Mon 27-Aug-07 15:52:02

one of those clear dome-shaped umbrellas
attach long strips of bubblewrap, cellophane, foil, silvery fabrics to edge
hold over head
open and close gently
=
jellyfish

Califrau Mon 27-Aug-07 18:21:22

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now