How much would you pay for this?

(23 Posts)
lostlalaloopsy Wed 16-Oct-19 16:58:31

My husband has made these coat hangers out of old whiskey barrels. We are planning to sell them for local fundraising. Do you think £20 is too steep?

OP’s posts: |
MaidenMotherCrone Sat 19-Oct-19 10:32:11

I'm all for creativity and crafting but it just looks like a length of wood with two coat hooks screwed to it. IMO it's not worth £20 regardless of who benefits by the sale.

Can't he think of something else to make with the wood?

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Sun 20-Oct-19 00:04:27

I'm sorry but £20 is way too steep.

There's nothing unique or quirky about them - TBH I'd struggle to pay £5 for one. It looks like a piece of wood with a B&Q hook screwed into it.

Could your OH "distress" them or maybe offer a personalisation service for names/comments to be added.

I'm not wishing to be hurtful with my comments but the end product really doesn't warrant £20.

Letseatgrandma Sun 20-Oct-19 00:08:53

Sorry, but they look very old fashioned-I wouldn’t pay money for them.

OnionsOnionsOnions Fri 22-Nov-19 18:33:09

£20 for that? No offence but I can get one better for a fiver at my local recycling centre.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Fri 22-Nov-19 19:03:15

Ooh not for me. Aren't the old barrels quite pricey too?

There must be something more profitable that DH can turn his hand to?

EskewedBeef Fri 22-Nov-19 19:06:13

No more than £5. It's not skilled craftsmanship.

BritInUS1 Fri 22-Nov-19 19:07:50

Sorry another no, they just don't look very special

Parttimers Fri 22-Nov-19 19:09:19

😬 no...tbh my 4 year old could make that!

NoHummus Fri 22-Nov-19 19:09:32

I wouldn't pay anything for that, it's not my style at all.

Three hooks on the wood would be more aesthetically pleasing and useful.

icantfind Fri 22-Nov-19 19:09:32

It’s not obvious from the pic if it’s a whisky barrel - is that just the angle of the picture?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 22-Nov-19 19:14:09

It’s a no from me.

VictoriaBun Fri 22-Nov-19 19:17:59

No , just a bog standard piece of wood with two cheapy hooks , would be better to have at least 3 hooks and then charge £7 - £8 ( still would not buy)

NemophilistRebel Fri 22-Nov-19 19:22:07

The hooks themselves are less than £1 each from a hardware shop

I wouldn’t buy it as it looks cheap and those hooks are designed for fitting directly to backs of dots so the wooden panels isn’t required.

Normally a coat rack has hooks on that are fixed from behind so at the very least the fixings are concealed.

Try it with better quality hooks maybe?

NemophilistRebel Fri 22-Nov-19 19:23:09

The edges of the wood also need to be finished to a higher standard if selling

DontMakeMeShushYou Fri 22-Nov-19 19:32:03

I agree that 3 hooks would look better from an aesthetic point of view, and single hooks rather than double.

It would benefit from something that made it quirky or unique, or which made it obvious it was from an old barrel.

How will the person who buys it mount it on a wall? It doesn't seem to have any holes drilled through it for mounting so are there hanging hooks on the back?

I think you need to look at it with a critical eye, think about what else is on the market, and then consider what you yourself would be willing to part with to buy it.

Pottedtree Fri 22-Nov-19 19:35:36

Agree 3 better than 2 hooks and I'd say £5-10.

PleaseDontLaugh Fri 22-Nov-19 19:45:04

It could be the angle of the photo, in which case I apologise, but it looks as though the hooks are not at equal distances from the edge of the wood. That would really bug me.

mummmy2017 Fri 22-Nov-19 19:49:58

Have you seen the fork hooks, really funny.
Might sell better being quirky.
I agree the hooks are nothing special.

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Fri 22-Nov-19 19:52:23

There are loads of really cool things that can be made from old barrels, but that isn't one of them I'm afraid. Or perhaps make some which retain part of the curve of the barrel and have a little shelf on the top for odds and ends.
If you have access to wooden barrels then you could use them to make dog beds, planters, water features, chairs or any number of things, but don't waste them by screwing some hooks on and calling it craft.

AnneTwackie Fri 22-Nov-19 19:55:58

Totally missing the point of the thread but these hooks always remind me of ‘drunken octopus wants a fight’ memes

PineappleDanish Thu 28-Nov-19 21:00:46

I think the problem is that it's flat. I have a candle holder made from a curved whisky barrel stave and I was happy to pay £20 as it is clearly older wood and a lovely shape.

BestOption Tue 03-Dec-19 12:23:07

Sorry, but I have to agree - it’s not making the best use of old barrel wood. It’s not creative or unique. It’s actually very old fashioned and ‘boring’ sorry.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in